Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainemini

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
Maine
I do a lot of work in my office annotating and attaching signatures to faxes as PDFs in Preview. I'd long ago set the Downloads folder as my default for saving as that fit my workflow well. Now Preview saves edited pdfs into Printing.22832.3 that I can't even find in Finder.

When I remember, I can change an individual file location in Preview of course but how to I change the default save location?

mainemini

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
Maine
Thanks, worth a try but all that did was change the new default save folder to "printing.22328.4"

dshobbs

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2024
I have the exact same problem now. Is it a bug with OS Sonoma or Preview? Did anyone find a fix?

In my case when I create a document and then "open PDF in Preview" instead of printing a hard copy, when I hit Save Preview no longer opens a dialog box to ask where I want to Save the new file, instead it saves it to the same buried folder that mainemini described above. I have to remember to hit Export in order to save the new file in another location with another name. A bit frustrating. I'd be fine if the default Save location for a new file was something more accessible like Downloads or Documents

xzhuang

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2024
It's not straightforward to find the temp folder where the Preview puts the PDF. This is a long way I found, but I have not found another easier way, nor how to change the default folder settings yet.

To get to the temp folder, do the following:
1) click on the pdf file name dropdown, as if to change the filename
2) click on the right of the temp folder name "printing.###.#" to expand to select "another" folder
3) Click on "Other..." on the bottom of the list
4) this will bring up in Finder where the latest "printing.###.#" is located
5) right-click on the folder to "Show in Finder"(see attached picture)
- now you can move the pdf to final destination

this is in the following path, but it's not easy to open the root "private\var\folders" from regular finder, go figures...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 1.20.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 1.20.27 PM.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: mainemini
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.