Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
My new MacBook Pro M3 running Sonoma is really frustrating me - I try to do a Time Machine Backup and get a message Saying ‘Time Machine Backup Delayed’ - and the reason given is 'Time Machine cannot back up because some iCloud Drive files have not finished syncing’ - it has been 3 days - no change - My old 2017 MacBook Pro did the same task in 5 minutes - I don’t get this - Has Apple screwed up the process so bad? I called Tech support and got a Tech who was Sonambulent - I don’t mean to be cruel - but he was dumb as a rock and couldn’t figure anything out - kept asking me after I said I wanted iCloud to work if I wanted to turn off iCloud and stop using it - I am begining to wonder if Apple if worth it anymore - my 2017 MacBook Pro has none of the issue I face with what is supposed to be a Superior Machine.

So any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Might be worth checking out these free utilities for dealing w/ iCloud Drive

Reactions: gilby101

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Do you have System Settings > AppleID > iCloud > Optimise Mac Storage enabled? You should enable. If not, sync can take a long time, maybe forever.

Also, do you have System Settings > AppleID > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Desktop & Documents Folders enabled?

Reactions: Papanate

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
Do you have System Settings > AppleID > iCloud > Optimise Mac Storage enabled? You should enable. If not, sync can take a long time, maybe forever.

Also, do you have System Settings > AppleID > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Desktop & Documents Folders enabled?
I have Storage enabled - I have Desktop & Documents now Disables and stored locally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.