Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I recently updated MacOS to 14.4.1 (M1 Mac mini) and now my Brother MFC-J4420DW inkjet printer only prints in monochrome. Before the update the printer and scanner both worked flawlessly. Now I can print only B&W and the built-in scanner doesn't even show up as an option in app menus.

I deleted and reinstalled the printer in Settings, and upgraded the Brother firmware. I'm not running MSFT Defender or any of the other background stuff mentioned in other "fixes" for printing issues. Print previews show color on screen, and the color toggle in printer settings works, but the output is always monochrome.

Anyone else having this issue?

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Have you contacted Brother support?
Brother published a list of printers that will be supported under Sonoma — my printer isn’t on that list so they have washed their hands of any MacOS issues that arise going forward.

I did “resolve” the problem of the monochrome output from the MFC. It is working again (printing color, scanner recognized in the system) after multiple restarts of both the Mac and the printer. Who is to blame here? I’m gigging Apple, and their poorly-tested releases for system upgrades.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I'd blame Brother. Had to discard a perfectly good label printer since they refused to update their app for it to work with the latest release.

Reactions: kagharaht

Daverich4

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2020
I recently updated MacOS to 14.4.1 (M1 Mac mini) and now my Brother MFC-J4420DW inkjet printer only prints in monochrome. Before the update the printer and scanner both worked flawlessly. Now I can print only B&W and the built-in scanner doesn't even show up as an option in app menus.

I deleted and reinstalled the printer in Settings, and upgraded the Brother firmware. I'm not running MSFT Defender or any of the other background stuff mentioned in other "fixes" for printing issues. Print previews show color on screen, and the color toggle in printer settings works, but the output is always monochrome.

Anyone else having this issue?
I have a Brother MFC-J6710 that works as expected under the current version of Sonoma. No problems with the scanner as well. It’s connected via Ethernet if that matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.