Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Setting up an Sonos Home Theater system. Got an Arc, Era 300 x 2 for surround and two Subs.

My questions are, when you add the Sonos speakers to HomeKit, are you supposed to be able to control them within HomeKit like as if it were a HomePod? Mine appear dead in the Home app. Doesn’t say “Paused”, “Playing”, “Stopped” or “No Response” for that matter. Opening the tile in the Home app. Just shows the large music widget grayed out.

Also, are the Sonos speakers supposed to show up in the AirPlay platter inside control center, under “Control Other Speakers and TV’s?”

Thanks.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
HomeKit still has some issues with Sonos products that you can Google about.

Ahh ok thanks for the heads up. I’ll check it out. Was just about the factory reset my Sonos but if it’s a widespread issue then, thanks for saving me the trouble.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I could use some help. I have an older parent who purchased (from what I am told) a Sonos Arc sound bar. The previous owner did not provide any manual etc. He was told to download the Sonos 2 app but, the app isn't seeing the sounder (which is on and already connected to the Samsung tv by the previous owner. How do I reset the sound bar to factory settings for him?

Last edited:

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
I could use some help. I have an older parent who purchased (from what I am told) a Sonos Arc sound bar. The previous owner did not provide any manual etc. He was told to download the Sonos 2 app but, the app isn't seeing the sounder (which is on and already connected to the Samsung tv by the previous owner. How do I reset the sound bar to factory settings for him?
Have you tried viewing the resetting the Arc via the information provided in the Sonos website?

All other Sonos products​

1. Unplug the power cord.
  2. Press and hold the Join button (
    1a277baa72b369cd7535d5e438370adc7fb5f9a0-50x50.svg
    or
    c3707b371521570ce1ff8facbd525fb46885e07a-50x50.svg
    ) while reconnecting the power cord. If your product doesn’t have a Join button, you can instead press and hold the
    60ffa9acbd90402bdee6560be0c16292cb595a93-63x50.svg
    Play / Pause or
    d8504ea24fbc417109ea66cb6a3336cf9d4c264a-50x50.svg
    Mute button while reconnecting power.
  3. Continue holding the button until the light flashes orange and white.
  4. The light will flash green when the process is complete and the product is ready to be set up.
You can add your Sonos product back to your system by following the steps in our Add a new product to an existing Sonos system article.

In my experience, the Sonos app can be clunky at times when adding new device to your network and you may need to be patient when setting up, worth noting that Sonos products broadly works with a 2.4GHz wifi.

Also, has the previous owner transferred ownership of the Sonos product to its new owner?

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Setting up an Sonos Home Theater system. Got an Arc, Era 300 x 2 for surround and two Subs.

My questions are, when you add the Sonos speakers to HomeKit, are you supposed to be able to control them within HomeKit like as if it were a HomePod? Mine appear dead in the Home app. Doesn’t say “Paused”, “Playing”, “Stopped” or “No Response” for that matter. Opening the tile in the Home app. Just shows the large music widget grayed out.

Also, are the Sonos speakers supposed to show up in the AirPlay platter inside control center, under “Control Other Speakers and TV’s?”

Thanks.
Sonos speakers are mostly useless inside of HomeKit outside of being able to include them in scenes. AirPlay with them works incredibly well. Airplay with Sonos is better than Airplay with HomePods.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Sonos speakers are mostly useless inside of HomeKit outside of being able to include them in scenes. AirPlay with them works incredibly well. Airplay with Sonos is better than Airplay with HomePods.
Thanks for that info. They’re going to be permanently connected as a theater surround sound system for my TV so I just use the Apple TV as the music controller for them now. Amazing system for Dolby Atmos content.

The only issue I have with it now, which is a first world problem of course, is that I can’t control the volume on the Apple Watch (Now Playing app) while video content is playing. It’s weird since the Apple TV remote widget/dynamic island is capable of that. Would think that functionality should extend to the Apple Watch.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Like Bl0ckhe1d said 👆🏻, I believe the previous owner is supposed to transfer ownership in the Sonos app or it gets locked to that person’s account like Apple’s activation lock. I hope I’m wrong but I was reading about this other day and vaguely recall it.

1689539806426.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.