Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Easier solution would be for Apple to allow people to share access to AirTags by sending them access through messenger - can specify the access as temporary or permanent. (already sent this to Apple as feedback when they first came out). Similar to how you can share your GPS location with your contacts.

Thereby, you're not limited to family sharing (whenever the hell they finally bring that out) *sigh*

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
To be fair to Apple, they don't market the AirTag as an insurance policy but as a convenience. It's the old smoke and mirror tactic, with the added twist that this is one Apple product that's designed not to be used regularly. Unless that is the only things you attach them to are car keys that conveniently get lost between a sofa, or to dangle one outside a bag when travelling in order to tell the world that all you need to do is remove the overpriced rubber fashionable loop.

Indeed it is up to the owner to use AirTag in whatever way they prefer, but make no mistake that due diligence is required with whatever you attach it to, and this applies to trackers in general. If the tracker is clearly visible when the item is stolen, then a thief is obviously going to use it to their own advantage. They could potentially even set a red herring and place the tracker in the opposite direction of their eventual destination.

It's for this reason that I'm still confused as to why Apple entered the market in the first place, because Apple hasn't solved anything. Cook has stated several times that Apple only enters a market if they believe they can bring something new to it, which inevitably would result in them taking a respectable market share. But if the only advantage of AirTag is that it plays nice with the Apple eco-system, then it's no wonder that they're limited to how they can even market it effectively. It was the same with the original HomePod, a decent speaker that was sold on the premise of other Apple products rather than any meaningful innovation.

I purchased two AirTags purely out of curiosity (I know, I imagine this is the bait that most took) and have them attached to my car keys and camera bag. I treat the former as a means to understand where I might have left the keys initially before being taken, and find the latter particularly effective as the AirTag can be hidden in an internal compartment - perfect for potentially tracking expensive equipment.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I’m late to this thread but did anyone ask how did the kid get to the basketball court?
If you rode your bike there how do you forget to ride it back?

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
It’s kind of funny how everyone bought AirTags for “theft” prevention or mitigation and talked bad about Tile but tile’s do have insurance that does cover theft and loss up to $1,000, granted it’s not free but it comes with their premium membership but still, just fyi for the next future purchase that would had helped getting you a bike had you not recovered it!

I’m sure apple will think of covering their AirTags in the future since they implemented theft and loss in AppleCare so who knows 🤷

I find them annoying because my girlfriend has AirTags and since we live together I will always get pop ups about them and seeing where they have been all the time

If your girlfriend activates the AirTag, she is the only one that gets pop ups about them.

Hmmm… 🤨

To be fair to Apple, they don't market the AirTag as an insurance policy but as a convenience. It's the old smoke and mirror tactic, with the added twist that this is one Apple product that's designed not to be used regularly. Unless that is the only things you attach them to are car keys that conveniently get lost between a sofa, or to dangle one outside a bag when travelling in order to tell the world that all you need to do is remove the overpriced rubber fashionable loop.

Indeed it is up to the owner to use AirTag in whatever way they prefer, but make no mistake that due diligence is required with whatever you attach it to, and this applies to trackers in general. If the tracker is clearly visible when the item is stolen, then a thief is obviously going to use it to their own advantage. They could potentially even set a red herring and place the tracker in the opposite direction of their eventual destination.

It's for this reason that I'm still confused as to why Apple entered the market in the first place, because Apple hasn't solved anything. Cook has stated several times that Apple only enters a market if they believe they can bring something new to it, which inevitably would result in them taking a respectable market share. But if the only advantage of AirTag is that it plays nice with the Apple eco-system, then it's no wonder that they're limited to how they can even market it effectively. It was the same with the original HomePod, a decent speaker that was sold on the premise of other Apple products rather than any meaningful innovation.

I purchased two AirTags purely out of curiosity (I know, I imagine this is the bait that most took) and have them attached to my car keys and camera bag. I treat the former as a means to understand where I might have left the keys initially before being taken, and find the latter particularly effective as the AirTag can be hidden in an internal compartment - perfect for potentially tracking expensive equipment.

People also use them to be notified when they are leaving a bag at a coffee shop, airport lounge, hotel lobby…

My wife wanted one, so I had her get a four pack. I tossed one in the car, it’s a parking reminder, and a pretty good one at that.

Oh, the fashionable loop is not overpriced, it’s waaay overpriced. The other “A” store has hundreds for sale. Even Pad & Quill sells there leather loops for less.

Last edited:

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
People also use them to be notified when they are leaving a bag at a coffee shop, airport lounge, hotel lobby…
My favorite AirTag use is for my wallet. I'm always paranoid about it falling out of my pocket while out on bike rides (even though it never has), so I like the idea of being notified if it gets "left behind", and being able to find my way back to it.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
My son forgot his airtagged bike on a Friday night at the basketball court, came back home walking (3 min walk).

Spent the Saturday all day on a trip with friends. Woke up Sunday morning, where is my bike?

This is not an Airtag or tracking problem, this is a kid growing up problem, no offense. It’s just part of kids growing up. I see kid stuff abandoned at my local park on a regular basis because they just walked off and left it.

Probably the best solution is for him to go for an uncomfortable but not excessive wait without a bike (like until Christmas or a birthday), then he will probably not walk off an leave the new one. That said, I have known adults that could not keep up with a wallet and had to use pre-paid credit cards, so no guarantees that my reply will be helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.