Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
Hey all! I'm in the market for a new camera and the Sony A6000 is in my cross hairs. I've had a Nikon D7000 for about 3 years now and, as much as I've loved it, I've found myself just not taking it anywhere because of its weight and bulk. So I've been looking to replace it with a mirrorless camera which I know will be lighter and smaller.

With that in mind, I think I've decided to go for the A6000 because it is better than my D7000 is almost every aspect (better AF, higher MP). However, as technology enthusiasts, we rarely buy something without hearing from those who already own one. So I'd love to hear from anyone on here who has owned an A6000 for a while and can briefly tell me pros and cons they've found, maybe stuff the review sites don't tell you.

I'll look forward to any responses. :cool:

Edit: Thank you for all of your infinitely useful responses! I've heard some really interesting arguments about a range of things, but alas! I believe I have reached a decision. I will be purchasing the Sony A6000 body (£389) and the Sony 35mm 1.8 (£300) from DigitalRev, who have the cheapest prices anywhere in the UK. Overall I'll be paying £689, that's a saving of over £200 (had I purchased these two anywhere in the UK.) I also decided to skip the kit as I've heard bad things about the kit lens and can't see a point in paying extra for a lens I won't use. Thanks again for all your help, the MacRumors community is awesome!

Last edited:

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
No experience with the a6000, but just before Christmas Amazon had a ridiculous deal on the NEX5-TL, which I picked up for <$300, including a lens, and it's a great camera. From everything I see, the a6000 is an upgrade over it and well worth the extra cash. I see people didn't love the viewfinder when compared to the NEX6, but otherwise it looks like a great camera. And my experience with the NEX5 is that it takes great pictures, so far, in a lot of different conditions. I also brought a 210mm lens to the Westminster Agility Trials a few weeks back, and managed some great shots there.

Hope that helps!

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I'm using the NEX-6 which is basically the predecessor to the A6000. I'm liking the NEX-6 very much and it would have been great if it had the fast focus from the A6000. I have tried it a few times and it works really well.

As mentioned, the A6000 doesn't have the same EVF as the NEX-6, it has one with a lower resolution. But I tried it on the A6000, and I really didn't notice much of a difference to be honest.

What the A6000 doesn't have is the dual-axis level gauge on the display, no idea why they removed that. But I find it extremely useful and I would mis it on the A6000 for sure. So keep an eye on that.

The A6000 does have the Alpha menus, which the NEX-6 doesn't have. The menus on the NEX-6 are a bit hard to navigate through since they are long. They organized it much better on the A6000. But I don't think it's a huge deal since you'll learn the menus pretty quickly after using them a few times.

Overal, the A6000 is a great camera and the fast AF is great. But the AF on the NEX-6 is no slouch either, so if you're not doing any sport photography you might want to consider the NEX-6, since it's cheaper and has the same image quality.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
I'm using the NEX-6 which is basically the predecessor to the A6000. I'm liking the NEX-6 very much and it would have been great if it had the fast focus from the A6000. I have tried it a few times and it works really well.

As mentioned, the A6000 doesn't have the same EVF as the NEX-6, it has one with a lower resolution. But I tried it on the A6000, and I really didn't notice much of a difference to be honest.

What the A6000 doesn't have is the dual-axis level gauge on the display, no idea why they removed that. But I find it extremely useful and I would mis it on the A6000 for sure. So keep an eye on that.

The A6000 does have the Alpha menus, which the NEX-6 doesn't have. The menus on the NEX-6 are a bit hard to navigate through since they are long. They organized it much better on the A6000. But I don't think it's a huge deal since you'll learn the menus pretty quickly after using them a few times.

Overal, the A6000 is a great camera and the fast AF is great. But the AF on the NEX-6 is no slouch either, so if you're not doing any sport photography you might want to consider the NEX-6, since it's cheaper and has the same image quality.

It's interesting that you both mentioned the range, I hadn't even looked into those. I'll do that now. It's just that lots of sites are saying the A6000 is best in class for mirrorless cameras right now, which is quite an impressive title.

Edit: It seems the NEX 6 sports a 16.1MP sensor, which is identical to my D7000. One of the main things I was looking for was a camera capable of slightly higher resolution images. I mean, the image quality of my D7000 is just fine, but I'm really starting to notice a difference when viewing shots from more recent cameras with better sensors.

It also seems to be more expensive than the A6000, on Amazon UK.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
My friend has a 6000. Two things to bear in mind.
1. The kit lens is rubbish. Get a decent lens on day 1 or you will hate it
2. Try it in a store as my mates one has shutter lag that got on my proverbials when I tried it.

Other than that, great camera IMHO.

K

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
If you're in no huge hurry and would like a few of the features that seem to be missing in the a6000 from the NEX-7, the a7000 or a6100 or whatever it is called probably isn't more than a couple months off. It's rumored to have the level gauge back, but more importantly the higher resolution viewfinder, and 3-axis IBIS.

I use a NEX-5T for compactness and the a6000 for the fast focusing, but I wish the a6000 had some of the NEX-7 features back (and some of the things I use in the A99 and A7II series). But the image quality is great and at the sale prices of $450 for the body, it's hard to pass up. I also disagree that the kit lens is rubbish, and a lot of dpreview posters back that up. It's just not the sharpest lens on the block.

I guess I could hold out for the next iteration. I've heard a few people bad mouthing the kit lens, but I'd probably buy the Sony 35mm 1.8 when I could because a 35mm is pretty much all I ever use on my D7000. Something about a 35mm lens hits the sweet spot for me.

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
Is the a7 line within your budget? Because that seems like a seriously awesome series -- especially given its full frame sensor.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
Is the a7 line within your budget? Because that seems like a seriously awesome series -- especially given its full frame sensor.

I'm not really in a position to spend £1,000 on a camera right now. The A6000 is pretty much the sweet spot for me on price and function. It's still a hefty upgrade over my D7000 but it's cheaper than the amount I originally paid for my D7000. A full frame, professional standard mirrorless camera would be huge overkill for me.

Last edited:

crm297

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
London, UK.
I made the same exchange.

I was using a D7000 and changed it for an A6000.

I was not using the D7000 nearly as much as I should, mainly because it was too bulky and heavy to carry around. Like you I could not justify the cost of an A7 series camera as I am no more than an enthusiastic amateur. I travel a lot with work and wanted a decent camera to carry with me.

I cannot praise the A6000 highly enough. It does everything better than the Nikon does apart from perhaps ergonomics. (No surprise from a smaller camera body). Image quality is better than what is already great image quality from the D7000.

I use the kit lense and I'm not very impressed. Images are just ok and the power zoom feature I find really annoying. It slows down the shooting process and wastes battery power. I also have the SEL55210 which is a nice lens.

I prefer the digital viewfinder to the very good pentaprism on the D7000. It is nice to be able to see the result of your setting changes before you take the shot.

The flash on the A6000 is a bit pointless.

I personally could not be happy with one of the cameras lower down the range that have no viewfinder at all.

The lens range available for the A6000 is obviously not Nikon sized but there are enough to get by. They are more expensive than Nikon or Canon equivalents though.

I'm going to get my self some nice old Leica lenses from eBay and have a play with them. The manual focus assist on the A6000 is excellent.

Lots of people seem to like m43 now but I prefer the larger sensor.

Yes, the replacement for the A6000 will prob be around soon but the deals currently available for the A6000 are very good. The new camera will be more expensive.

I think you have prob made up your mind already?

irishv

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Hey all! I'm in the market for a new camera and the Sony A6000 is in my cross hairs. I've had a Nikon D7000 for about 3 years now and, as much as I've loved it, I've found myself just not taking it anywhere because of its weight and bulk. So I've been looking to replace it with a mirrorless camera which I know will be lighter and smaller.

With that in mind, I think I've decided to go for the A6000 because it is better than my D7000 is almost every aspect (better AF, higher MP). However, as technology enthusiasts, we rarely buy something without hearing from those who already own one. So I'd love to hear from anyone on here who has owned an A6000 for a while and can briefly tell me pros and cons they've found, maybe stuff the review sites don't tell you.

I'll look forward to any responses. :cool:

I switched to the a6000 from an old Canon XTi in January and couldn't be happier. The speed of the autofocus is incredible. I don't notice some of the complaints mentioned above (EVF, level, etc), primarily because I didn't have them before.

The kit lens can give you some decent pictures, but I'm not a fan of the power zoom. I bought it with the 16-50 and the 55-210 (which is great for the price), and have since picked up the 16mm pancake (not great, but serves it's purpose) and a $30 c mount 35mm f/1.7. I've mainly been shooting JPEG as I try to figure out migrating away from Aperture. You can see some examples below.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?tags=a6000&sort=relevance&user_id=29885596@N04

16-50

35mm 1.7

55-210

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
I switched to the a6000 from an old Canon XTi in January and couldn't be happier. The speed of the autofocus is incredible. I don't notice some of the complaints mentioned above (EVF, level, etc), primarily because I didn't have them before.

The kit lens can give you some decent pictures, but I'm not a fan of the power zoom. I bought it with the 16-50 and the 55-210 (which is great for the price), and have since picked up the 16mm pancake (not great, but serves it's purpose) and a $30 c mount 35mm f/1.7. I've mainly been shooting JPEG as I try to figure out migrating away from Aperture. You can see some examples below.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?tags=a6000&sort=relevance&user_id=29885596@N04

16-50
[url=https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8589/16073107738_a4ab05ea8c.jpg]Image[/url]

35mm 1.7
[url=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7460/16264882260_577bebf723.jpg]Image[/url]

55-210
[url=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7425/16168562568_3f38ba9b3d.jpg]Image[/url]

Thanks for your reply. That last shot looks sharp. Nice.

irishv

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Thanks for your reply. That last shot looks sharp. Nice.

Thanks. I'm not sure if it's just my copy, but it definitely is sharp for a kit lens. I also like that I can still use my Canon lenses with a $10 adapter. It's a nice challenge having never really used manual focus before.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
Thanks. I'm not sure if it's just my copy, but it definitely is sharp for a kit lens. I also like that I can still use my Canon lenses with a $10 adapter. It's a nice challenge having never really used manual focus before.

I'd be wanting to get the Sony 35mm 1.8 cause that's all I shoot with on my D7000. I knew getting a converter was a possibility but I really want to make use of the A6000's incredible AF system. To lose that and be stuck in manual focus is not something I'm interested in. It's just too easy to miss the shot if you're focusing manually.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
I was using a D7000 and changed it for an A6000.

I was not using the D7000 nearly as much as I should, mainly because it was too bulky and heavy to carry around. Like you I could not justify the cost of an A7 series camera as I am no more than an enthusiastic amateur. I travel a lot with work and wanted a decent camera to carry with me.

I cannot praise the A6000 highly enough. It does everything better than the Nikon does apart from perhaps ergonomics. (No surprise from a smaller camera body). Image quality is better than what is already great image quality from the D7000.

I use the kit lense and I'm not very impressed. Images are just ok and the power zoom feature I find really annoying. It slows down the shooting process and wastes battery power. I also have the SEL55210 which is a nice lens.

I prefer the digital viewfinder to the very good pentaprism on the D7000. It is nice to be able to see the result of your setting changes before you take the shot.

The flash on the A6000 is a bit pointless.

I personally could not be happy with one of the cameras lower down the range that have no viewfinder at all.

The lens range available for the A6000 is obviously not Nikon sized but there are enough to get by. They are more expensive than Nikon or Canon equivalents though.

I'm going to get my self some nice old Leica lenses from eBay and have a play with them. The manual focus assist on the A6000 is excellent.

Lots of people seem to like m43 now but I prefer the larger sensor.

Yes, the replacement for the A6000 will prob be around soon but the deals currently available for the A6000 are very good. The new camera will be more expensive.

I think you have prob made up your mind already?

Not sure how I missed your response! It sounds like your situation is identical to mine. The deals for the A6000 really are amazing right now, I've found the kit for £479 which is exceptionally cheap. I think you're right, I think I have made up my mind. I'm probably going to get the A6000 kit and then sink £350 into Sony's 35mm 1.8 when I can. Over £800 all together but hopefully it will be worth it for a better, smaller, lighter and more conviniant camera. Considering I originally spent £1030 on my D7000 kit back in 2012, this camera is a steal! The future is definitely in mirror less.

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
Same Switch

Made the exact same switch just 6-8 weeks ago. Had the D7000 since release, but wasn't carrying it, and honestly wasn't too happy with it.

Did lots of research, sold all the Nikon gear, and purchased the a6000. I got the 24mm Zeiss lens (more than I intended to spend originally) but am loving the camera and the lens. It will take me awhile to become familiar with it, but no buyer's remorse at all. I recommend it.

Enjoy your new camera!

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
Made the exact same switch just 6-8 weeks ago. Had the D7000 since release, but wasn't carrying it, and honestly wasn't too happy with it.

Did lots of research, sold all the Nikon gear, and purchased the a6000. I got the 24mm Zeiss lens (more than I intended to spend originally) but am loving the camera and the lens. It will take me awhile to become familiar with it, but no buyer's remorse at all. I recommend it.

Enjoy your new camera!

What didn't you like about the D7000, just out of interest? It was my first DSLR, back in 2012, and I pretty much know everything I now know about photography because of that camera. I found the handling to be quite nice and I feel like I know the thing inside out. I'm just starting to get disappointed by the AF system and the quality of the image files produced.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
My friend has a 6000. Two things to bear in mind.
1. The kit lens is rubbish. Get a decent lens on day 1 or you will hate it
2. Try it in a store as my mates one has shutter lag that got on my proverbials when I tried it.

Other than that, great camera IMHO.

K

I've got an A6000, the kit pancake isn't terrible, no better or worse than most kit lenses. It is nice and compact though.

I run my photos through DXO optics to get the most out of the images.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
I've got an A6000, the kit pancake isn't terrible, no better or worse than most kit lenses. It is nice and compact though.

I run my photos through DXO optics to get the most out of the images.

What's DXO?

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I'm in a similar situation Jar. I bought a Canon t2i/550d a few years back. I learned photo and video with it. However, I find I don't bring it out with me as much as I'd want to. The video quality is a bit dated and I'm also disappointed that Canon doesn't have a fast, cheap crop normal lens like a 35mm f/1.8 like Nikon does.

I'm planing on having an out of country internship over the summer so I really want a camera I could stick in my bag on a daily basis. My girlfriend swapped her Canon DSLR system (crop sensor) for Fuji and she's really happy about it. She got an X-E2 with a 35mm f/1.4 lens for it. It's actually the only Fuji lens she owns, she has a few manual FD lenses to go with it. It fits in her purse, takes better picture than the Canon and is really fun to use.

I want to go with the Sony mainly because of the video quality. The value on the a6000 is also quite hard to beat. However, do take a look at Fuji, they have some really nice stuff.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
DXO optics, it's a batch post processor that corrects an image based on a mathematical model of the camera, sensor & lens combination.

Science!

There's also a free trial, well worth a look.

Kinda like what the 'Lens Corrections' panel in Lightroom does?

----------

I'm in a similar situation Jar. I bought a Canon t2i/550d a few years back. I learned photo and video with it. However, I find I don't bring it out with me as much as I'd want to. The video quality is a bit dated and I'm also disappointed that Canon doesn't have a fast, cheap crop normal lens like a 35mm f/1.8 like Nikon does.

I'm planing on having an out of country internship over the summer so I really want a camera I could stick in my bag on a daily basis. My girlfriend swapped her Canon DSLR system (crop sensor) for Fuji and she's really happy about it. She got an X-E2 with a 35mm f/1.4 lens for it. It's actually the only Fuji lens she owns, she has a few manual FD lenses to go with it. It fits in her purse, takes better picture than the Canon and is really fun to use.

I want to go with the Sony mainly because of the video quality. The value on the a6000 is also quite hard to beat. However, do take a look at Fuji, they have some really nice stuff.

It depends how serious about recording video you are. I've heard the A6000 is great for video recording, but there's no option for an external microphone (other than one of Sony's expensive Bluetooth mics). One thing people have been telling me to wait for the A7000 (or A6100) for is that it'll most likely record video in 4K. But you're internship is this summer and who knows when that's coming out!

skaeight

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
I will wholeheartedly recommend the A6000. I'm another with a NEX-5T (had a limited budget and wirecutter recommended it as the best bang for the buck). I absolutely love it though and everything I've read and heard is that the A6000 is just better version of my camera (more megapixels, faster autofocus, EVF).

I have the 35mm 1.8, which is a fantastic lens. I highly recommend it. I primarily shoot with this lens. I do also have the kit lens, which isn't bad, but does distort heavily at the wider angles. You will need to use LR's lens correction when using it - it works great though. I considered selling the kit lens, but I'm glad I have it for wide angle shots and a closer view than my 35mm lens offers me.

You can't go wrong with Sony right now. I'm really glad I bought into this system. There may be an A6000 or whatever the newer equivalent is in my future a few years down the road.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

I have never purchased any of the Canon EF-S lenses for my ASP-C. What I do is to buy Canon EF lenses, as well as some from Sigma and Tokina.

That said, if you had some Canon L lenses, these would be perfect for using with and adapter on the Sony cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.