Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I’m a bit of a video newbie having shot still photography my entire career. Lately clients have been asking for video so I thought I’d give it a go.

Shooting on my Sony a9, video looks correctly exposed when previewed on the display/viewfinder and when played back on camera. When imported into Final Cut and on the files in the Finder, everything is terribly overexposed and flat.

I have a hunch that this is something to do with a colour profile or HDR but I can’t figure it out. What am I doing wrong?

In camera it’s fine:
A0E56014-3F05-4D83-A81E-DB217D1350F7.jpeg

On the Mac, highlights are totally blown out and the image is flat:
6A9EE857-D6F0-4BC2-BC91-17DC8776D320.jpeg

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Thank you. I don’t see Color HLG 2020 though. Only Rec. 2020.

I do feel like we’re getting warmer. I get the impression that the colour space Sony uses on the a9 needs to be matched on Final Cut. Maybe it’s a plug-in I can install? A custom LUT?

Marco Klobas

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2017
Italy
I'm not an expert.

Anyway, what color space uses the Sony a9 video? Can you find a panel like this, with the color space information?

Screenshot2020-01-14at22.38.14.png

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Thanks guys. There seems to be a combination of things happening here.

A) I noticed that my Exposure Compensation dial was inadvertently jacked up to +3. Even though the footage looks good in camera, perhaps something is happening on export.

B) The Sony a9 records in a profile that Final Cut isn't being faithful to. The EV +3 is probably not helping.

@Marco Klobas your suggestion got me on the right path. I selected Rec. 2020 and it gave me a little more dynamic range to play with.

I think the footage is usable now but I'll know to check my dials next time I'm shooting. Some lessons learned here for sure. If anyone has anything else to add, I'm all ears. It's going to take a while to fix this...

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
One thing I’d highly recommend if you’re not doing it already is to use zebra stripes. Viewfinders aren’t that good at telling the whole exposure story. Zebras can tell you definitively what’s blown out.

Reactions: jons and ipedro

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
One thing I’d highly recommend if you’re not doing it already is to use zebra stripes. Viewfinders aren’t that good at telling the whole exposure story. Zebras can tell you definitively what’s blown out.

This came in handy on my next shoot! We shot in a fairly dim location with a couple of lights on the subject.

Even though in camera she looked correctly exposed, I thought I’d be safe and turned on the Zebra setting and it was going bananas all over her hair and face!

Looks like the monitor is not a faithful representation of what footage will look like on export. Thanks for the tip!

• Love
Reactions: jons and profcutter

jons

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
This is definitely good advice. Also, you can always check the histogram as well since I don’t think the the a9 can show scopes. Never rely on the monitor

Reactions: Ledgem and ipedro

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
This is definitely good advice. Also, you can always check the histogram as well since I don’t think the the a9 can show scopes. Never rely on the monitor
Yes, I'd second this - use the histogram. If someone is already coming from photography then the histogram should be a well-known entity; even if someone reading this isn't coming from a photography background, the histogram isn't a difficult concept to grasp, and seeing it in motion will probably make its function fairly obvious.

Reactions: ipedro and jons
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.