Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
They(corporations) all do it....but it looks like Sony just got caught(again)
Not real damaging, but negative press nonetheless:
(pretty much an all expenses paid trip for 6 journalist...I would blow the grand on gambling in one fail swoop, and it probably wouldn't sway my initial opinion)

Sony Online Entertainment is sponsoring an all expense paid event for journalists who wish to give their opinions based upon current and future SOE titles. The trip will include airfare, hotel, and $1,000 for opinions. The event is being held August 2, 2007 for six lucky journailsts.

How very kind of Sony to pay journalists for their professional unbiased opinions. We can all be sure that an all expenses paid trip will of course not leave any feelings of debt with the lucky journalists who wish to entertain such a lavish trip. One can only expect that such accomodations for our beloved journalists will of course result in unbiased and professional opinions. This entire scenario smacks of an under-handed attempt to bribe our simple minded journalists that under-go such a formal attempt of bribery. It seems that corporations are counting more so on the greed of people than the quality of their titles. This is not only a new low for SOE but any journalists that attends such nonsense.
psinsider

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ indeed. They are all on the take. Don't trust reviewers, especially when they are from 'official' magazines / sites. EVER...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I think I used to only trust Eurogamer. Now it's just word of mouth from friends and forums.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I'm curious if they wouldn't have gotten some sort of flak if they held this kind of event but DIDN'T pay the expenses of those invited.

"How cheap can you be?"
"I'm not going to pay money to fly across the country and see a handful of games!"
etc.

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
I thought it was you, Coded-Dude, who was denying Sony "bribed" :D

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, though.

But heck, I'm sure there are plenty of journalists that would take them up on the offer and still give objective reviews, the question is... will a Sony event have so much hype it temporarily confuses editors into giving better reviews then they would have?

Still, not a big deal IMO.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I'm curious if they wouldn't have gotten some sort of flak if they held this kind of event but DIDN'T pay the expenses of those invited.

"How cheap can you be?"
"I'm not going to pay money to fly across the country and see a handful of games!"
etc.

I'd assume that their employer would treat it as a business expense and pay for it. Being paid by Sony is ridiculous.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Actually one thing I've noticed too lately (last couple of years) is that even the magazine who were respectable when it comes to reviews and for the most part still are......

are actually TERRIBLE for PREVIEWS.

They hype and preview a game, full of praise, full of adoration and saying how fabulous this or that is going to be when it's released.

It's obvious then that even these 'previews' are paid for and represent nothing more than a cheap PR excersise for publishers.

The amount of times I have seen a preview saying how this is going to redefine genres, set the benchmarks for future generations and other such big claims and then when the review comes its like - 5/10 ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Actually one thing I've noticed too lately (last couple of years) is that even the magazine who were respectable when it comes to reviews and for the most part still are......

are actually TERRIBLE for PREVIEWS.

They hype and preview a game, full of praise, full of adoration and saying how fabulous this or that is going to be when it's released.

It's obvious then that even these 'previews' are paid for and represent nothing more than a cheap PR excersise for publishers.

The amount of times I have seen a preview saying how this is going to redefine genres, set the benchmarks for future generations and other such big claims and then when the review comes its like - 5/10 ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I totally agree here. Peeves me to no end.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I even used to think "Man things sure went to hell the during the last 5 months between preview and review". :eek:

I got over that feeling.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Game press, sites, reviewers etc. is all a bunch of trash now.

I gladly paid the $5 or $10 (whatever it was) for the Gamestop EDGE card + a 1yr subscription to Game Informer, just because I could read it while on the pot. ;)

Otherwise - game reviews and previews these days aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Case in point - reviews for Tenchu Z were atrocious. I love the game. Fun as hell. I've probably logged 3-4 hours (if not more) on the 1-level demo just because I have fun running around SK'ing (stealth killing) all the guards. But reviews for it were like an average of 4.5-5/10. IGN, Gamespot, GI...all dogged it.

It's clear to me that all reviewers are either a) paid or b) biased. Don't trust what you see in magazines or game websites (Gamespot, 1up, IGN, GI etc) these days...most of the times, you'll disagree with them because they're idiots. ;)

Word of mouth/forums is where the best info comes from. :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Chromehounds had a desperate demo

Recieved mediocre reviews

And yet on Live™ it's an absolute corker of a game. The only reason I gave it a chance was based on user reviews over on IGN.

Sometimes reviews are wrong.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Game press, sites, reviewers etc. is all a bunch of trash now.

Well, I wouldn't generalize that far. I met a lot of reporters/reviewers that seem like pretty solid people at E3...and those that weren't.

I prefer to get to know individual writers. For example, Matt C. at IGN Nintendo. I know he's an Apple fan, he's a self-proclaimed "graphics whore", he'll nitpick over certain minute details (Twilight Princess' music not being MP3s), but he can also appreciate attention to details and artistic style.

Thus, when I read a review of his, I know really to take certain parts with a grain of salt, things that I know will bother him but won't bother me. I ignore the score althogether, and skip straight to the review, in which I know what things I should trust his word on and which I know won't matter to me.

I stick to a small set of sites, get to know the writers by their work and know how much I can trust.

I would say that word of mouth beats just about anything though (forums).

I would also say that my site is fairly unbiased; primarily because we already chose to write about what we are biased towards (specifically, Nintendo) so no further bias exists! :D Specialty sites are great. XBox fans can gravitate towards XBox sites, etc.

I remember when the DS first came out I was frustrated with Craig Harris, who runs the IGN DS section, because every time I read something he wrote I got the distinct impression that he'd rather be writing for the PSP section as he obviously liked the PSP better (ironically, some of the PSP writers preferred DS), and a distinct negative tone appeared for a while. He's warmed up to it a ton recently, but I really disliked IGN DS for a while over it. With special sites, people are writing about something they like; with a big site, sometimes people don't get the assignments they want, and that bleeds into their writing.

Sorry for the huge post, but as a gaming journalist I just wanted to throw some of that in.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I prefer to get to know individual writers. For example, Matt C. at IGN Nintendo. I know he's an Apple fan, he's a self-proclaimed "graphics whore", he'll nitpick over certain minute details (Twilight Princess' music not being MP3s), but he can also appreciate attention to details and artistic style.

I totally agree. I listen to several of the IGN podcasts and its great to get to know the reviewers a bit because you tend to find out what they like and wht they don't so when reading that Jeremy Dunham likes Ratchet and Clank a ton, well he loves ALL the Ratchet games so maybe he's a little bit bias towards them (although I love them too so...)

I would say that word of mouth beats just about anything though (forums).

but that I disagree lol forums, unless I know the posters and their tastes quite well, are awful places because of the fanboy bias that lurks around, plus.... a lot of people like really ****** games :D

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Yeah, but with word of mouth you can get an idea whether or not a game is just plain fun or not.

And just like with journalism, don't trust random sayings, listen to a forum poster you know and recognize and trust has similar tastes in that genre.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.