Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Free From PC

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Hendersonville, TN
I got a Sony Hi8 Digital Camcorder for Christmas. It has USB Streaming. The software that came with it is for both PC and Mac and the manual has instruction for Mac, but my Mac won't recognize it. I went on Sony's website for troubleshooting USB and it said that it doesn't support any computer running a Mac OS system.

Now why would the camcorder come with Mac software and instruction if it's not supported?

The Model is DCR-TRV250. Is anyone familair with this or know anything about it? I have virtual PC installed on my computer that may work, but I really don't want to go that route.

Any help and advice (Besides buy a different camera) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I have the same camcorder and use it regularly with my Powerbook and iMovie. No additional software was required. It was automatically recognized by iMovie. However, I use firewire rather than USB. The DCR-TRV250 has a mini firewire out, so why would you want to use USB? If you need to buy a firewire cable, make sure you buy the kind with the mini plug that fits the port on your cam. I bought mine at the Apple Store.

One other thing: The DCR-TRV250 works great with iChat AV, but you have to plug it into an AC power source and remove the battery in order to prevent it from auto powering off.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I have a MiniDV Sony with the same featureset, and so far as I know their loose implication that the USB streaming feature works on the Mac is a complete fabrication. They say it won't work, and at least unless you use some 3rd party shareware, I I'm pretty sure it won't (I didn't get it to, anyway).

Firewire is fine, of course. And I thought almost every new Mac came with a 4-6 pin Firewire cable (mini to computer-standard, that is) to use with Camcorders? Sure you don't have one laying around somewhere?

I'd be happy to sell you one of the pile I've got for a few bucks, if you want (was going to e-bay them anyway).

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Use the firewire connection when you want the Mac to recognize the camera as a video device. Conversely, if you have still photos on the camera (i.e., on a Sony memory stick), use the USB interface to have the camera recognized as a still camera.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I had a similar situation. My mini-DV JVC GR-DVX707 was not on the compatibility lists and only came with Mac OS 9 software to support USB only. The manual said that FireWire was only supported on the Windows platform! Took the plunge and bought a FireWire cable just before Christmas and everything was recognised immediately. iPhoto recognises the still mode via USB also. Screw the crappy software that came with it and thank the lord Apple made it easy!

Now I'm burning DVDs with ease using my PowerBook and my parents are starting to like Macs more!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.