Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Anybody hear of or know where I can find something about like a review on the sony hdr z1u camera? I know my friend says he is getting it and its hdv I believe but i cant find any info about it anywhere. I checked camcorderinfo.com also. Any help would be great, thanks.

slackpacker

macrumors 6502a
Espnetboy3 said:
Anybody hear of or know where I can find something about like a review on the sony hdr z1u camera? I know my friend says he is getting it and its hdv I believe but i cant find any info about it anywhere. I checked camcorderinfo.com also. Any help would be great, thanks.

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=33032

Plus the Sony Z1u rocks. Pal/NTSC 1080i... works great with Macs.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
The Z1U has a very limited exposure range. The resolution is nice, but I'd rent until something with better DSPs and optics comes along.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
You might want to wait until Panasonic's solid-state DVCPROHD cam comes out, although a bit more expensive. It's a much better compressed HD codec than HDV. Keep in mind HDV requires a really hefty machine to work with. It's so compressed (such a small size, same as standard def DV), it takes a lot of CPU to uncompress on the fly.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Nicky G said:
You might want to wait until Panasonic's solid-state DVCPROHD cam comes out, although a bit more expensive. It's a much better compressed HD codec than HDV. Keep in mind HDV requires a really hefty machine to work with. It's so compressed (such a small size, same as standard def DV), it takes a lot of CPU to uncompress on the fly.

Panasonic's HVX200 (w/the 2 8gig P2 cards bundled) is 2x as much as the Z1U (and it could be more if Sony drops the price when the Panny is released).

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.