Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmer1992

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Hello All,
Let me begin by saying I have searched high and low on forums all over the place for an answer to my problem, hopefully I can find some help here, thanks in advance for your time.

TLDR;
I have 1.5TB of Sony PMB .m2ts video files shot using a Sony HDR-CX700, whatever I do the video quality goes choppy/shaky camera(this is amplified compared to the PC) once I play it on my iMac. I would like to be able to play and organize these video files on my iMac and play them on a nearby Apple TV without giving up the great video quality I get when playing the video in the Native software on a PC. I am looking to see if anyone else has done this same conversion or had similar issues and how they resolved them.

Now, I have about 1.5TB of 1080i video on a hard drive, these are home movies of the family made using a Sony HD Camera with the Model #HDR-CX700, I have been a Windows User for a long time and therefore have all of that footage stored in the software that came with the camera at the time called Sony PMB, when I imported all the video I figured I would get the best quality of video by using the software and cameras Native format. This seems to be causing me quite a bit of grief now that I am trying to convert to Mac. I have purchased a new 5k iMac with 32GB RAM, and the 3TB Fusion Drive, it should be plenty for what I need to accomplish. Enough backstory here is my issue:

I have managed to use Parallels Desktop and Parallels Transfer to clone my original PC over into a Virtual Machine. Everything works and I am able to bring up all my videos in my copy of PMB on that Virtual Machine. However when I play the video in PMB on the virtual machine it is choppy, for some reason it almost looks like the image stabilization is not carrying over. Additionally the motion blur on the videos is much worse on the Mac than it is when played side by side with the PC. It almost seems as though this is related to a video upscaling issue with the iMac's 5k display.

Now some will say this could be due to it being in a virtual machine, so I opened some of the video files directly in MacOS using VLC Media Player, Quicktime, iPhoto and even Final Cut Pro, with the same result.

So I thought maybe this is an issue related to the file format and I converted the video using several applications including Handbrake with several different settings, and using quicktime. Still with the same result of bad video quality after conversion, in all players.

PMB is not available for MacOS but the updated version Play Memories is and when I try to update my database to Play Memories I get stuck at 1% permanently.

My end goal is to be able to play and organize my Video Files on the iMac without having issues with the video being choppy or unclear, retaining the 1080i video quality that I currently have and be able to play the media on my Apple TV in the living room. If possible without losing the date creation flag on the file so that I do not have to reorganize the entire library by date. Any ideas for how I could accomplish that?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.