Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Sony may release the 80Gig model here in the US.

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9722104-7.html

May 23, 2007 6:19 AM PDT
U.S. may get 80GB PlayStation 3
Posted by Daniel Terdiman
Sony said Wednesday that it is considering putting out a new version of its struggling PlayStation 3 video game console in the United States with an 80GB hard drive. That's the storage capacity that will come on the South Korean version of the PS3.

(Credit: Sony)To date, the PS3 has come with a 60GB hard drive, and a 20GB version was discontinued in the United States, though it still sells in Japan.

According to the Associated Press, Sony Computer Entertainment spokesperson Satoshi Fukuoka said that the company is thinking about adapting the storage capacities of the PS3 for different regions.

"Increasing capacity for models is one of the options," Fukuoka told the AP. "We make such decisions depending on the needs of the market, and every country is different."

Sony says it will begin selling the 80GB PS3 in South Korea on June 16, and Fukuoka said the company may well bring that version to the U.S. market.

It's hard to know if adding capacity to the PS3's hard drive will solve the problems Sony is having with the console in the U.S., where it is third in an increasingly bitter next-gen console battle with Nintendo's Wii and Microsoft's Xbox 360.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
What is it they don't get about this?

Message to Sony - it is too expensive. As simple as that.

They're trying to make it a "better $600 value"....

I hear on the other boards that the price of an 80 Gig drive is the same now as a 60 Gig one. Not to mention leaving out all the PS2 compatibility chips as now it is in software emulation - hence the extra hard drive space.

Less costs for Sony... or I should say less loss...

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Yep, they reduce fab prices, and keep PS3 price the same, then you get the added benefit of additional space.
I don't buy this unless it is to completely replace 60GB models.

Of course, you could ask MS the same question about releasing the Elite. :)

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
:confused: Did somebody say something.......?

Anywho, this could probably be a trend for a little while, continually reduce production cost and add drive space, until they find an sku that both they, and consumers, are happy with.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Yep, they reduce fab prices, and keep PS3 price the same, then you get the added benefit of additional space.
I don't buy this unless it is to completely replace 60GB models.

Of course, you could ask MS the same question about releasing the Elite. :)

I would assume that Sony will be replacing the 60Gigs, which means they will wait until they are sold out. If so, it will take a very, very, long time.

Who wants to buy one if they know a newer model will be out? Why would Sony drop the price of the 60Gig and have an even further loss?

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Sold out is the key phrase.......

They stopped production of the 20GB model for US, but you still see them in stores
(in some places)

Although, I do agree; releasing it when you still have plenty of stock, will hurt store sales of the smaller drive version.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Sold out is the key phrase.......

They stopped production of the 20GB model for US, but you still see them in stores
(in some places)

Not around Chicago. The only 20Gig model I saw since launch was a single returned one at Target that they opened up, even though the person returning it never opened it. I've never seen one since.

Sony saying that they couldn't sell any is bunk, since they never really made any to begin with. I was thinking of going ahead and getting the lesser model. Not now...

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
No, I'm not saying they couldn't I know that was and still is a popular model, but I have seen them.
Of course, for my area, the 60GB was a much more popular choice.
Thats why you still see a few 20GB's here and there at like Circuit City, Target, etc.

What they would have to do is slowly decrease shipments until demand gets high, then start shipping 80GB models.

The 20/60GB were different enough to warrant two sku's, but the 60/80GB models are virtually identical in features/cost.
Nobody would buy a 60GB model if they coudl get 80 for a few dollars more.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
On the web now people are contemplating Sony will just place a "sticker" on the box to state that it's the 80Gig model.

Has "ebay scam" written all over it...

Nice job, Sony

(goes home tonight to watch some old Beta tapes...)

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Everywhere I've seen the 80gb version discussed it is in relation to the Korean release, where the cost for the 80gb version translates to something like $575USD.

I think most people would agree with me that they'd rather the 60gb cost 500 or 550 and that Sony just let people upgrade their own hard drives. The drives are so easy to replace that anyone can do it, there is no chance to void your warranty and all you have to do is replace 4 screws; there are instructions right in the manual.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I have to say, I'm no longer a big fan of sony...

What are they thinking? People aren't going to buy more PS3s for an extra 20 GB of storage capacity! Include another accessory, game, controller or something to at least make it seem like its worth $600. Or get the storage over 120 GB so your console looks better next to the elite 360.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Their console does look better than the elite.

Why spend all that money, and only get half the features of HDMI 1.2, when you can have ALL the features of HDMI 1.3
The only thing they really did to Elite was add an enormous HDD.

The price difference for Sony adding 20GB of extra space is minimal enough to pass the value on to you.
(they are saving a little as well though)
If they suddenly doubled the size of the drive, they would also have to increase the overall price.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Their console does look better than the elite.

Why spend all that money, and only get half the features of HDMI 1.2, when you can have ALL the features of HDMI 1.3
The only thing they really did to Elite was add an enormous HDD.

The price difference for Sony adding 20GB of extra space is minimal enough to pass the value on to you.
(they are saving a little as well though)
If they suddenly doubled the size of the drive, they would also have to increase the overall price.

Problem is people don't look at what is offered (otherwise no one would waste money on a 360 core) they just look a price.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Problem is people don't look at what is offered (otherwise no one would waste money on a 360 core) they just look a price.

That was kind of the point i was trying to get at. Some people will buy the elite because its $120 less than the PS3, even though you don't get HDMI 1.3, integrated wireless, or a blu ray drive.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
When they dump the price, I plan on buying one.

Why? I love PlayStation2, and I'm sure I'll love the PlayStation3. Plus then I grew up with the original PlayStation.

Oh, and I adore my PlayStation Portable to death.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.