Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I checked the games on offer at the PS Store and some are in development. There weren't many btw, maybe 15-20 games. The biggest games were RE Village and Horizon West and that still wasn't enough to pull my interest.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Apple should absolutely be careful entering this market.

They have no secret software sauce (nor some amazing content library) to fall back on either.

If one thinks Apple can just walk into this space and "dominate", they have Cupertino tinted glasses on.
Who in the world thinks that apple can just walk into this space and dominate? NOBODY.

But the space is not won by anyone yet. It's open for grabs, and Apple is just as likely as anyone else to win the market if they produce something unique that people like better.

For example, if Apple releases glasses-only hardware without any obtrusive headgear. ANYONE who can find a way to release this type of setup will be far ahead of anyone else.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Who in the world thinks that apple can just walk into this space and dominate? NOBODY.
I do. They did it with the iPod, which set up the iPhone and iPad. They are the #1 smartwatch maker even though they entered later. I don’t see them spending the many years in r&d and not wanting to dominate. Of course, like most markets, there is a low and high end. They will dominate the high end.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I do. They did it with the iPod, which set up the iPhone and iPad. They are the #1 smartwatch maker even though they entered later. I don’t see them spending the many years in r&d and not wanting to dominate. Of course, like most markets, there is a low and high end. They will dominate the high end.
I can see Apple WANTING to dominate, but this market is different from the others. There was a market for portable music players before the iPod. There was a market for watches before the Apple Watch. There was a market for phones before the iPhone.

There is no VR market yet. It's still a hobby, a fad. Much like 3D TVs. This is new territory for Apple. They need to invent something that opens up the VR market. I'm not sure if they can do that. Usually they wait until there IS a market and then jump in later.

The Sony Playstation VR2, for example, is just another iteration of the existing VR market. It's not going to change things dramatically, just another iteration. VR is not succeeding because there is no killer app yet, it's too expensive, it's too bulky to wear, and you need room to use it. I doubt Apple can solve all that.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I read several reviews and they haven't moved the needle for me. In fact it has confirmed why I decided not to get the PSVR2. According to the reviews, the hardware is nice although other VR's offer slightly better specs. The two big problems are 1) Price and 2) Games. The only AAA game so far on offer is Horizon West but even that game really isn't pushing the envelope and the Headset is still priced more than the PS5.

Curry119

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
Unless there is some killer application that Apple has in mind I don't see this stuff going very far in terms of sales. I think all the AR/VR/Metaverse stuff was overhyped by a tech industry that has mostly run out of ideas. I think in terms of true breakthrough innovations the last one was probably the iPhone so it's been awhile.

Reactions: sorgo †

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
I suspect that the Apple headgear solution will effectively replace monitors for some people.

If it’s comfortable to wear and negates me buying two Studio Displays to plug into my MBP it will be worth it.

With Spatial Audio built in for when simply watching videos etc. it will be like if one was to carry a large TV onto the train commute.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Unless there is some killer application that Apple has in mind I don't see this stuff going very far in terms of sales. I think all the AR/VR/Metaverse stuff was overhyped by a tech industry that has mostly run out of ideas. I think in terms of true breakthrough innovations the last one was probably the iPhone so it's been awhile.
+1 Digital IHD Smart Meters, best innovation in recent years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.