Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxTheTechno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
Y'all have heard of Sorbet Leopard for PPC Macs right? But Leopard only runs on G4 and G5. not G3. So i was wondering. Could the developer of Sorbet Leopard make a version of Sorbet for G3 Macs with the same patches for the G3? Call it Sorbet G3/Tiger

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
I highly doubt it. Getting retail Leopard to run properly on a G3 requires a massive amount of recompilation.

It is feasible that if this project was used as a base Look here with AuroraTrimCelerator style tweaks overlayed, as done with Sorbet Leopard, it would result in something similar to what you’re looking for. Even then you’d be better off looking at the other options available to you.

You could also stick with Tiger and either search this forum for 10.4 tweaks to optimise yourself, or run AquaTrimcelerator to do some of it for you, if you’re not technically savvy or not willing to get stuck into tweaking manually.

MaxTheTechno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
I highly doubt it. Getting retail Leopard to run properly on a G3 requires a massive amount of recompilation.

It is feasible that if this project was used as a base Look here with AuroraTrimCelerator style tweaks overlayed, as done with Sorbet Leopard, it would result in something similar to what you’re looking for. Even then you’d be better off looking at the other options available to you.

You could also stick with Tiger and either search this forum for 10.4 tweaks to optimise yourself, or run AquaTrimcelerator to do some of it for you, if you’re not technically savvy or not willing to get stuck into tweaking manually.
I was talking about a Sorbet for OS X 10.4 Tiger, and besides. i do not want to manually tweak because i don't want to damage my OS

Reactions: andysa1966

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
YKW! Give me all the Tiger tweaks and goodies for my iBook G3 Snow 600mhz

In addition learn to use user agents, custom hosts file, script blockers and TenFourFoxBoxes.

Install Links2 and PPCMC7...amongst others.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
In principle I think an optimised Tiger disk image is a great idea - I was tempted to do one myself when I turned Tiger dark with Shapeshifter....

Picture 2.png

However, I'd have no intention of embarking on a 'branding' campaign - so effectively it'd sink without trace within days.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@Dronecatcher My philosophy is simple. Apple dreamt up great products that made lasting impressions, and people liked them a lot.

Therefore, if the project is up to snuff, he who wishes to both make a lot of people happy and make a lasting impression must emulate Apple.

If there were another way, I'd have used it.

@MaxTheTechno @TheShortTimer Actually, 10.4.12 has been in the works for a long time.

So perhaps it is coming soon. I suppose that we'll just have to find out. ;)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
@Dronecatcher My philosophy is simple. Apple dreamt up great products that made lasting impressions, and people liked them a lot.

Therefore, if the project is up to snuff, he who wishes to both make a lot of people happy and make a lasting impression must emulate Apple.

If there were another way, I'd have used it.

@MaxTheTechno @TheShortTimer Actually, 10.4.12 has been in the works for a long time.

So perhaps it is coming soon. I suppose that we'll just have to find out. ;)
I’ve never subscribed to the “if you can’t beat ‘em - join ‘em” principle and also two wrongs don’t make a right.

Apple historically have a reputation for hyperbole, plagiarism and cherry picking data to suit their marketing strategy - it’s not something I’d ever want to mirror in my own life or outlook as that’s just one contributory factor to the hellscape we are now living through.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I think just for good measure, I’d implement built in free taco and crispy American bacon functionality into the browser that plays YouTube as fast as a
M1 ultra Studio. :D

In principle I think an optimised Tiger disk image is a great idea - I was tempted to do one myself when I turned Tiger dark with Shapeshifter....

View attachment 1976446

However, I'd have no intention of embarking on a 'branding' campaign - so effectively it'd sink without trace within days.

Off-topic, is that a clip from the “Lake Minnetonka” scene to stand in as a music video, or was there an actual, stand-alone music video released by Warners for “Take Me with U”?

(Also, never will you hear louder laughter when he says, “That’s not Lake Minnetonka,” if you’re watching Purple Rain in either a cinema or summertime outdoor screening in the Twin Cities (of Minneapolis/St. Paul).) :)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Off-topic, is that a clip from the “Lake Minnetonka” scene to stand in as a music video, or was there an actual, stand-alone music video released by Warners for “Take Me with U”?

Yes, the Take Me With U promo video that has that scene - though thinking about it, there is a possibility i edited the scene from the film as the copy off Youtube might have been poor quality?

Reactions: B S Magnet

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@Dronecatcher Mirroring those elements of their marketing strategy is not what I meant at all. Nobody in their right mind would want to emulate that, and nor have I at any point in the past - or at least not to my knowledge.

The point of my message was to convey a spirit of goodwill and charity for the simple sake of positive emotion for all parties. Maybe it was a poor execution on my part, but that was the intention.

Honestly, it is becoming increasingly more difficult to say anything on the Internet without having it unintentionally blow up in your face almost immediately afterward. With this style of communication, it is no wonder that people are more divided now than ever.

Reactions: skinniezinho

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
@Dronecatcher Mirroring those elements of their marketing strategy is not what I meant at all. Nobody in their right mind would want to emulate that, and nor have I at any point in the past - or at least not to my knowledge.

Really? Every project you've put out is drenched with elaborately worded hyperbole in favour of transparent facts - that's your choice of course and apparently it appeals to a lot of users and has propelled your projects into a realm of interest beyond the confines of this forum.

I was merely saying, if that's what it takes to promote useful workarounds and alternatives for vintage computers - personally speaking, no thanks.

I've actively recommended Sorbet to people, as I've recommended PPCMC7, Links2 and @wicknix Linux remixes to people too - I do so on merits not because of hype.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.