Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Genome58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2022
I'm still using Sorenson Squeeze 11.1, but to do so, I've refrained from updating one of my Mac's OS from El Capitan 10.11.6. Does anyone have hands-on (not theoretical) experience with Squeeze functionality on more recent Mac OS? Specifically, what is the latest OS version which will maintain functionality of my standalone Squeeze app?

Genome58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2022
Ouch! Thanks very much for that info. Good thing I have a number of Macs. As long as Squeeze continues to meet my needs, I'll dedicate one machine to this app and maintain the current OS.

FCX

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Ouch! Thanks very much for that info. Good thing I have a number of Macs. As long as Squeeze continues to meet my needs, I'll dedicate one machine to this app and maintain the current OS.
What is it about Squeeze that you can't find in a modern app?
I used it for many many years, but found better and much faster alternatives.

Genome58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2022
First and foremost, Squeeze is already paid for. Secondly, it meets my needs, particularly when I record directly to my Atomos Ninja Star, which yields ProRes 422 files. I have my settings pre-selected, so just push the "Squeeze" button and walk away. So buying a new app is neither a budgetary priority nor a software 'itch' that I must scratch, at present. However, I'm likely to require a better and faster alternative sometime in the future. What are you currently using? When support for Squeeze was discontinued in 2018, the alternatives were expensive and had a learning curve.

FCX

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Highly pragmatic approach you've got there... ;^)

I've been using a combination of Compressor (dozens of custom presets) for maybe 60%, and the other 40% and oddball stuff is done with ffmpeg, using FF•Works for the GUI.

I'd only use Squeeze when I needed webm, wmv, mpeg1, or some other thing that Compressor couldn't do easily. Mostly because Squeeze was stupid-slow on my cheesegrater MacPro, and Compressor does a nice job with MP4, MPEG2, HEVC, etc. Plus, I can set up Sharing outputs in FCPX using my custom presets. Real time saver in my case.

FF•Works was inexpensive, ffmpeg is free, and it covers all kinds of things I never knew I needed. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it is worth the effort.

Genome58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2022
Highly pragmatic approach you've got there... ;^)

I've been using a combination of Compressor (dozens of custom presets) for maybe 60%, and the other 40% and oddball stuff is done with ffmpeg, using FF•Works for the GUI.

I'd only use Squeeze when I needed webm, wmv, mpeg1, or some other thing that Compressor couldn't do easily. Mostly because Squeeze was stupid-slow on my cheesegrater MacPro, and Compressor does a nice job with MP4, MPEG2, HEVC, etc. Plus, I can set up Sharing outputs in FCPX using my custom presets. Real time saver in my case.

FF•Works was inexpensive, ffmpeg is free, and it covers all kinds of things I never knew I needed. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it is worth the effort.
Thank you. I appreciate the advice

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I played with it before biting the bullet and purchasing Squeeze. The settings drove me crazy.
You can make presets, and Handbrake has the advantage of not being an obsolete unsupported product that requires you to maintain old hardware and outdated operating systems.

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
I played with it before biting the bullet and purchasing Squeeze. The settings drove me crazy.
like @chrfr says you can make presets.

I don't find it that different then any other compression/video encoding tool
Plus from the sounds of it you are doing the same thing repeatedly and it will be less then an hours work or fiddling to set and forget.

The past 2 releases they have improved the interface, in case it's been awhile since you looked at it.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
In the end, all these tools/apps are the GUI over ffmpeg. Handbrake is very good, has been my go to for years except for a couple things compressor does better. Most of their presets are a very good compromise. Bulk batch files are routine for me, open handbrake, open the folder containing all your video files, add all files to queue, go get a cup of coffee.

Genome58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2022
like @chrfr says you can make presets.

I don't find it that different then any other compression/video encoding tool
Plus from the sounds of it you are doing the same thing repeatedly and it will be less then an hours work or fiddling to set and forget.

The past 2 releases they have improved the interface, in case it's been awhile since you looked at it.
Thanks for that. I'll definitely take new look at Handbrake.

Genome58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2022
In the end, all these tools/apps are the GUI over ffmpeg. Handbrake is very good, has been my go to for years except for a couple things compressor does better. Most of their presets are a very good compromise. Bulk batch files are routine for me, open handbrake, open the folder containing all your video files, add all files to queue, go get a cup of coffee.
That's a very valid point. Given all of forum members' suggestions, I must also consider the appropriate OS upgrade. I think it might be prudent to first install Mojave, play with Handbrake while concurrently confirming that my other apps and printer/scanner driver all work before moving to a dedicated 64 bit OS. Do you agree?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.