Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmx08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
I was asked to get a Sony PS2 Mini for X-mas but will it play MP3 CD and MP3 DVD?

Our DVD deck burned from all the movies played and a PS2 can really do the job for the extra 100$ which at the same time play some games with the kids.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
PS2, not PSP... and wouldnt a mini PS2 have the same size cds so that all the games that have been released to date are compatible. Although, with my experience, burnt media will usually not play in playstations, burnt cds are simply a no go, and burnt dvds are a toss up.

If you want to listen to MP3s CD or DVDs, just get a cheap dvd player, you can even get DivX DVD players, my friend got a no namer for $100 CDN... and I got a Yahama DivX DVD player for $200 CDN...

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
rickvanr said:
PS2, not PSP... and wouldnt a mini PS2 have the same size cds so that all the games that have been released to date are compatible. Although, with my experience, burnt media will usually not play in playstations, burnt cds are simply a no go, and burnt dvds are a toss up.

If you want to listen to MP3s CD or DVDs, just get a cheap dvd player, you can even get DivX DVD players, my friend got a no namer for $100 CDN... and I got a Yahama DivX DVD player for $200 CDN...

Actually, i have been able to play burnt audio cds in my ps2 (I think it is a v4). I was also able to install a media player onto my memeroy card so i can play cds with divx movies and mp3 files on my ps2, but not cds burnt with my PB. Nero created cds work fine.

*Note: what I did does not require a mod chip, but does require alot of patiece to get the cds write.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Is there perhaps stand-alone MP3 software for the PS2?

I know Blaze created a MP3 app for the Dreamcast during it's lifespan. Put the app CD in, boot it up, then swap it out with an MP3 disc, and you can play all the Mp3s on it.

There are also some freeware DC apps that do the same, and even play really obscure file formats such as OGG and .nsf.

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
man. i feel like an idiot…

rickvanr said:

…

i must have totally missed that.
but, no. i do know that psp's will have a small disc form-factor. all i've really heard about it is that and that even so, they will hold more than a PS2 disc.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I love my PS2 and have in fact had it since the day they were released. With that said I would not use it as a dedicated DVD player especially if you burnt out a dedicated DVD player already due to high use. The PS2 is not known for it's durability. Mine has only lasted this long as once it started getting picky about the discs I played I quit using it to play DVDs and bought a dedicated DVD player. Also my PS2 sits in the top of the entertainment center and only gets moved to have the dust cleaned out of it.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Pretty sure they cannot play MP3 CDs. I don't even think the MP3 CD format existed when the PS2 came out (MP3 files existed, but no one had yet thought of making a CD player capable of playing them directly).

MacBandit

macrumors 604
HiRez said:
Pretty sure they cannot play MP3 CDs. I don't even think the MP3 CD format existed when the PS2 came out (MP3 files existed, but no one had yet thought of making a CD player capable of playing them directly).

Oops forgot to mention that in my initial reply. No, no Sony PS2 can play MP3s out of the box. You can get programs to run on it but it will require a mod chip to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.