Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
When my wife says "Hey Siri, turn off the bedroom lamp in two hours", Siri responds like this

"Sorry [name], you'll have to get permission for me to do that for you." It recognises her voice and calls her by name.

The bedroom lamp is controlled via a Hue Smart Plug. I have a hue bridge connected to my network and the plug is configured in Homekit.

She is able to say "Hey Siri, turn on the bedroom lamp" and it works.

She's a member of the home, she's able to control other devices, this is the first time we've tried a timed switch off.

I have no idea where or how I can give her permission, can anyone help please?

Thanks.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008

sounds like a HomePod OS bug.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
That command is creating a run-once-and-delete automation. So I wonder if that's considered part of the "Add and Edit Accessories" permission group for that user. Can she create automations using her Home app currently or is that ability not available to her?

If not, check her permissions in the Home app on your iDevice and enable "Add and Edit Accessories" (Assuming it's not currently enabled). Wait a few mins for that change to propagate and then see if she can set automations via the Home app and Siri.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
If not, check her permissions in the Home app on your iDevice and enable "Add and Edit Accessories" (Assuming it's not currently enabled). Wait a few mins for that change to propagate and then see if she can set automations via the Home app and Siri.
Ahh, this looks like it. I enabled that option before I posted here but I clearly hadn't waited long enough. I've just tried again and it's now working for her.

Reactions: DeltaMac and dotme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.