Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chromeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
Hey everyone,

Just had to format a Macbook. Running Catalina.

I had this set up before and remember it being a pain in the *** to set up last time and can't remember how to get it back.

In Finder, I use column view to sort by date modified with the most recent file at the top. I want that same view when I "upload" or "open" or "save" files as well. However, it reverses the order so the newest file is at the bottom. I used to have it at the top.

I know you can switch to "list" view but 9/10 times I'm adding an image file and columns is super handy to see a preview of an image + dimensions/details of the file, as I may need to look at multiple versions to attach the right size.

Anyone know how I can get this working again?

Thanks.

chromeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
When you first get to the Finder main menu go to the menu item View and choose your desired settings for the default!

This works for the main Finder window but not the open/upload menu unfortunately. I have done this for the main Finder window. To clarify:

Main Finder Window with most recent at top
Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 12.02.12.png

Upload/Attach Window with most recent at bottom (no settings changed)
Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 12.02.25.png

Thanks.

Alex_b

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
Did you manage to fix this? I use it all the time for opening files, and it's quite annoying that it only seems to sort alphabetically. Is there a plist file in Library/Preferences you can alter, anyone? Using Mojave, but similarly missing the gear icon + ability to sort (rather than group) in column view. It works totally fine in normal Finder, just not in open / save dialog boxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.