Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BCSailor7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2020
I’m the frustrated owner of an older MacBook Pro. I’ve owned this since new.

MacBook Pro 13” mid 2012
Processor 2.9 GHz Dual core Intel core i7
Memory 8 GB 1600 mgz DDR3
Startup disc Macintosh HD
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 mtb
Mac OS Catalina 10.5.7

Note this a hard drive version which is part of the problem, not much pertinent info on the web.

When I boot up I get the apple logo and a progress bar. It takes an average of two minutes to get to the log in and another thirty secs to get desktop items followed by a minute of spinning beachballs. Performance is lethargic.

I have tried all available advice, trashed all non-native apps, NordVPN
Firefox etc. This started around the time I upgraded to Catalina and has gotten progressively worse.

I recently purchased a MBair and migrated everything to it quite successfully.

I am in the hinterlands of local help so any assistance is, of course greatly appreciated.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This is the "unibody" 2012 MBP with the DVD drive?

IF you have the unibody version, it's a simple matter to replace the original platter-based hard drive with a 2.5" SATA SSD. These are cheap and plentiful. I'd recommend either Crucial or Sandisk. Get 512gb or 1tb.

ANYONE can do this. All that's needed are simple tools (Phillips #00 driver and TORX t-6 driver).
You might also consider replacing the internal drive "ribbon cable". This is a "point of failure" on the 2012's, it is also cheap and easily replaced.

Go to ifixit.com to see the illustrated guide on how to swap out the drive and change the ribbon cable. You can get the part number from ifixit, and either get the cable from them, or from elsewhere online.

I would also suggest that you get a 2.5" SATA USB3 drive enclosure, like this one:
Put the SSD into it BEFORE you open the MBP.
Then, either install a fresh copy of the OS onto it, OR, use SuperDuper (free) to "clone" the contents of the internal drive to the SSD.
Now you can TEST the SSD BEFORE you open the MPB. If something isn't right, you can fix it while the MBP is still bootable.

When the SSD is ready, NOW it's time to open the back of the MBP and swap the drives.

Put the old HDD into the external enclosure.
Now you have a backup of the internal.
Or... erase it and use it for another purpose.

Good luck.

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
Could be the slim SATA cable too. I’ve repaired one for a colleague. Anyway, once inside, time for an SSD. My early 2011 is still going strong with RAM upgraded, new battery and a Samsung SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.