Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schmidi0t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Nearby
A few months ago I successfully used the macOS Mojave patcher tool to install Mojave onto my mid2011 MacBook Pro. Inside I have new ram (16gb) and replaced the hard drive with a 1tb ssd. My machine has been working phenomenally and have only had an issue today. As per the site recommendation, I have chosen the APFS start up option that allows updates normally. I have updated my os successfully in the past.

Recently I have been avoiding two updates: one from the apple software update and one from the patcher updates (I believe regarding a night mode issue). In hindsight, I probably should have just updated them right away. Nevertheless, I decided to update the one from apple today. It appeared that the update went fine, but after booting up, my screen was stuck and the progress bar wasn’t moving.

I have tried everything from resetting my NVRAM, PRAM, and SMC. Safe mode will not boot and gives me the no symbol. On normal launch, it asks for my password, after the progress bar gets halfway it stops indefinitely. I’ve had it sit there for more than 30 minutes. If I launch recovery mode, it suggests I reinstall Os lion.

My fear is that the os update did not update properly or may be interfering with the patcher. The usb flash that I used to put the os on the first time has since been erased. If I must, I can reinstall the original hard drive but I’d rather not if I don’t have too. Is there any way to fix this without erasing my ssd? I have files on there I cannot replace.

If you have come across this before or have any ideas, I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you for the consideration

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
A few months ago I successfully used the macOS Mojave patcher tool to install Mojave onto my mid2011 MacBook Pro. Inside I have new ram (16gb) and replaced the hard drive with a 1tb ssd. My machine has been working phenomenally and have only had an issue today. As per the site recommendation, I have chosen the APFS start up option that allows updates normally. I have updated my os successfully in the past.

Recently I have been avoiding two updates: one from the apple software update and one from the patcher updates (I believe regarding a night mode issue). In hindsight, I probably should have just updated them right away. Nevertheless, I decided to update the one from apple today. It appeared that the update went fine, but after booting up, my screen was stuck and the progress bar wasn’t moving.

I have tried everything from resetting my NVRAM, PRAM, and SMC. Safe mode will not boot and gives me the no symbol. On normal launch, it asks for my password, after the progress bar gets halfway it stops indefinitely. I’ve had it sit there for more than 30 minutes. If I launch recovery mode, it suggests I reinstall Os lion.

My fear is that the os update did not update properly or may be interfering with the patcher. The usb flash that I used to put the os on the first time has since been erased. If I must, I can reinstall the original hard drive but I’d rather not if I don’t have too. Is there any way to fix this without erasing my ssd? I have files on there I cannot replace.

If you have come across this before or have any ideas, I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you for the consideration
Try boot single user mode and check were the error stop.

uajafd

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2015
Cmd-V, boot it verbosely.

Also, always update the patcher tool first.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
You have to boot back into the patcher tool and re patch your install.. an update will overwrite all of that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.