Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LAHegarty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
York, UK.
Hi guys, what's the best way to get sound out of the G4 Cube?

I've just picked up a G4 cube and was wondering what the best way to get an audio line out on it would be.
(In case you don't know the Cube does not have an internal sound card)

I know that originally it came with USB speakers, not too bothered about those would just like a line out.
Or I guess USB speaker would be fine too.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
You've going to need some sort of USB Audio deivce. The original speakers had a headphone jack on the box that contained the "sound card" circuits.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Hi guys, what's the best way to get sound out of the G4 Cube?

I've just picked up a G4 cube and was wondering what the best way to get an audio line out on it would be.
(In case you don't know the Cube does not have an internal sound card)

I know that originally it came with USB speakers, not too bothered about those would just like a line out.
Or I guess USB speaker would be fine too.

An "USB External Stereo Sound Adapter" (like these ones) will do fine to get any speaker connected.
Or just a "BassJump" as single speaker for both os9 and OSX ...

LAHegarty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
York, UK.
I didn't think this would work but I just plugged an old firewire sound and it worked without having to install any software; Core Audio BABY! :apple: <3

IMG_0424.jpeg

RESOLIVED!

Thanks guys.

Reactions: Project Alice

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
My favorite alternative to the hard to find and often rotted Cube speakers is the original USB SoundSticks. They sound great(better than the Cube speakers, which aren’t exactly slouches either) but look right at home next to a Cube set up.

An alternative that’s contemporary to the Cube is the Griffin iMic. It plugs in to a USB port and gives you 3.5mm line in and line out. I don’t do anything that requires any form of line in, but have used the line out to connect speakers.

The iMics are somewhat easy to find. A lot of G4 towers(Quicksilvers in particular) don’t have line in, so they were a good budget option at the time for people who needed that capability.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Oh yes, right, forgot about the iMics. Their look resemble the Cube's style. Have also got one here, but didn't use it yet.
The original USB-Soundsticks might come with broken satellite-speakers, but the subwoofer's 3.5 Klinke socket may work with any kind of satellite-speaker replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.