Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m5brane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
I’m looking for an inexpensive (sub-$350) sound bar to use exclusively with the most recent Apple TV 4K. It’s a small room, with a 55” TCL (2018). This is mostly for movies, TVs, and sports. Streaming music is secondary. Two new full size HPs are out of my price range, and the discussion on here seems to suggest that using just one is insufficient. Finally, there’s no place to mount rear speakers, so I’m focused on bar + sub.

Poking around online, I sometimes see complaints about audio syncing between various sound bars and Apple TVs. These complaints usually aren’t very specific about the Apple TV model, the rest of the set up, etc. So I thought I’d ask here for a rec from Apple users.

Any models that folks are especially happy with?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Have you considered soundbar options that link to a sub wirelessly and that sub has the wiring for rear speakers? You can then put the sub beside/slightly behind your main seating area and then run the surrounds wiring back along a wall to where you could mount/place them? That's an easy way to get real surrounds in place without dealing with sometimes challenging wiring runs from a centralized location.

I also encourage you to re-think the budget. Unlike pretty much everything Apple sells us, speakers can be a 10-20 years (useful life) purchase. Why not budget accordingly? For maybe $200-$250 more than the $350, you have a fair chance at catching the top-rated Sonos Arc soundbar in their refurb store. I have one of those solely as a music player in a bedroom and it sounds spectacular. Long after my >$6K Mac Studio is made obsolete by macOS upgrades, I expect that speaker to still be sounding as good as it does today. Since you are presumably an Apple person, it also works very well with Apple Music (and pretty much all other services too) and Airplay 2.

IMO, we Apple people tend to undervalue AV equipment. Yet, AV stuff- especially speakers- will almost certainly outlast anything we buy from Apple by 3X-4X times. Audio is a VERY important part of the mix for a good home theater and general purpose music listening too. Consider saving up and getting "premium" here. Your ears will likely be enjoying the purchase long after all Apple stuff you own is retired, replaced and those replacements are retired. Maybe put off an iPhone or iPad upgrade for "one more year" to create the spare cash to contribute towards a great AV soundbar setup?

By "premium" I do NOT mean Apple HomePods. While they can sound very good, they are- IMO- much too locked down for good general purpose use like home theater. Again, I favor the much more open Sonos options for soundbars and anything where a Home Pod might be a consideration (like music in bedrooms, kitchen, etc).

I hope this is helpful in spite of not answering the question within the shared parameters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaos22

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
Vizio V series check Amazon

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Do you want a bar for $350? Or a bar + sub for $350? Because the latter is unrealistic for anything that's not crap and a waste of money.

Go for the Sonos Beam. It is right around $350 and can usually be found on sale for less. In a small room, you probably won't even feel the need for a sub. If you do, you can always add a Sonos sub later on. The Beam is by far the best soundbar available, next to the Arc, and comes in around your price range. You cannot go wrong with it, and definitely will not regret it. I wouldn't even consider the soundbars out there that are in the $200 range, because they are a waste of $200.

Reactions: TroyJam and Bigwaff

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Sonos Beam or Ray and eventually add the Sub Mini when budget allows. If needed.

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
I have done a lot of research on this topic lately, and I am going with 2 new HomePods (for now).

I have had a ~$250-$300 Samsung soundbar + sub setup for a few years, and i would say it is a fairly marginal upgrade over just using the tv speakers.

To really get into the impactful Soundbar setups, Sonos is the gold standard, as others mentioned.

Below are 2 helpful video reviews that cover this very topic, with head to head comparisons of HomePods against Sonos and other wireless speakers options.

The consensus is that dollar for dollar, 2 HomePods is actually a very cost effective approach. AND with eArc via the AppleTV they can be used for ALL of the TV sources too.

I have two Roku speakers, paired with a TCL Roku tv and I think they are much better than most soundbars in that price range.

I don’t think the impact of having the left and right speaker separation can be overstated. Adds so much more to the dynamics than a sound bar. I do not understand why Sonos and others don't have options to have C + L + R configurations.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I disagree with everyone on the Sonos ecosystem recommendations. I had the Beam and two Sonos IKEA Bookshelf speakers as rears. In my opinion, on its own, the Beam doesn't sound like I expected a $400 speaker should, but the real issue is that the hassle and heartache and pain-in-the-buttedness it is in real life far outweighs its usefulness. The app disconnects, the remote doesn't work consistently (or at all), the speakers phase to their own beat, etc etc etc. It was bad for my wife and kids from the beginning, and towards the end was not worth it even for me, and I've worked in IT for 20+ years.

To be blunt, I sold my Sonos bundle after less than a year and began using one OG Homepod as a "soundbar." No, it was not as "full" as the Sonos setup, and one speaker, no matter how good, is not enough, but it was very nearly the same sound experience as the Sonos. If my family room was smaller or more closed off (it's open on one side to the kitchen, so nothing to bounce off of), I might still be using the one OG HP.

As it is, and because it's open to the kitchen, I spent $400 on four Homepod minis, both in stereo pairs, and haven't looked back. They sound better than they look like they should for TV and music, and the complete immersiveness of the sound of all four of them almost makes up for the lack of full range of bass. 2 new HP's in a stereo pair would be an improvement from a full sound (bass) perspective, and I'll probably do that eventually - the sound of the OG HP is just so so good.

That last sentence, then, sums it up... I agree with the folks saying, keep saving until you can spend a bit more. Quality will rise dramatically. It's worth it. Or buy one new HP and save up for a second when you can afford it.

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Along those lines…. the OP could test the homepod idea with 2 minis to start.

I also do think Apple could enable multi-channel support at some point, which would be awesome.

Nice thing with trying the homepod route is they can easily be repurposed as general speakers in other rooms etc. if you eventually want a more dedicated TV sound system.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
I just installed a Samsung HW-S60b and am super happy with it for the $249 price point. It has AirPlay 2, and sounds really nice.

I’ve tried Sonos in the past as well and was not pleased with the audio quality.

m5brane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Thanks everyone, for all the insights and recommendations. Getting advice from an apple-focused crowd has been very helpful! If anyone else has specific recommendations (either new recs, or a +1 on the homepods, Samsung, Sonos) I'd love to hear.

Reactions: Jxdawg

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
I like my Klipsch Cinema 600. Wireless sub and optional wireless surround. You need to get it on sale though. Currently the model up from the 600 is selling for less. Makes no sense. I was very impressed by the bass. Earth shaking given the size of room it’s in. We have to turn the sub down a bit on occasion.

dpgx81

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Just picked up a Definitive Technology 3D Studio Mini for 309 and have been really happy with it. Pretty good price they usually list for 900 but I haven’t played with the HEOS functions yet outside of setting it up. Their dialogue enhancer is one of he best I’ve used, i have it on low and it’s incredibly clear and concise.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Apple people tend to be Apple biased. Some seem to operate like it is their job to help Apple get every possible nickel out of their fellow consumers. So everything not branded Apple is bad and only Apple things are good.

To embrace HomePods for this purpose dooms a buyer to 2-channel stereo at best. Modern home theater tends to revolve around 7.1 (7 speakers spread around you + 1 subwoofer) with some arguing for 11.1, 11.2 and others "getting by" with "a minimum" of 5.1 (that's 5 separate speakers positioned around you plus a subwoofer). The ATMOS game adds speakers above (ceiling). There is NO way to fake those kinds of setups with 2 speakers. It doesn't matter if they are claimed to be ATMOS or Dolby Digital X.Y or ATMOS Magical Liquid Retina Mach 4 Ultra on the box... and don't be fooled by marketing terms like immersive, spatial, etc. 2 speakers are 2 speakers. If all sound is coming from only 2 locations- you have a stereo setup at best.

HPs sound very good. If one can be happy with stereo-only, that may be a way to go. However, if one wants really great Home Theater sound, IMO- the minimum is 5.1 setup (front left, center, right, rear left & right + subwoofer), likely powered by a good (ideally great) receiver.

Soundbars play the same (marketing) game of claiming to be up to ATMOS in one container. No way. To get real Atmos, you need physical speakers to be all around you. Yes, technical trickery can seem to fake real speakers all around but you will definitely notice the difference when in a real ATMOS setup vs. any ATMOS soundbar setup. No soundbar delivers true ATMOS or even true surround sound. It's all technical trickery at best or just outright marketing puffery at worst.

Part of the magic of good surround is getting some physical distance between front left, center & right too. There are some soundbars that will let a left & right speaker part detach from the soundbar so they can be spread out a little further. Why do they bother with that unless there is some real audio benefit to separation? In that answer, you begin a case for truly separate left + center + right speakers, even in OPs "small room."

If you want true surround, you need physical speakers in surrounding positions. You are not surrounded with sound if the speaker(s) is in front of you.

Look to the professional setups as ultimate verification. Go to the cinema and look around at their speaker setup. You will find NO professional theater with one or two HPs down front. There will be speakers down front, to your left & right, behind you and 1 or 2+ big subs somewhere around there too. If HPs were just as good, I'm sure all revenue-pinched theaters would have long-since abandoned the many speaker setups for 2 HPs.

The bashing of all things not branded Apple is typical. I'm an Apple everything guy myself but I can assure anyone interested that Sonos Arc sounds VERY good as a soundbar. If one does the research, it is typically rated the BEST soundbar available. So if OP absolutely wants to go soundbar vs. left + center + right (which I have myself in my own home theater setup), I stand by the suggestion of saving up a little more for ARC and then perhaps adding the surrounding speakers and sub over time... something easily done with the Sonos system but impossible with HP.

I know we Apple people really, REALLY want HPs to be a great Home Theater option too... but it was never intended to be that (thus no surround sound software support at all from Apple). There is no HP Soundbar or Center HP speaker. There is no HP Subwoofer. There's not even rumors that any of those are coming. "We" seem to be imagining 2 or 3 full-size HPs out front and 2 minis behind us as a 5.1 sound setup but HP software has no support for that even if we buy the 5 speakers and lay them out like that... nor are there any rumors about that.

Sonos is not the only game in town either. But OP wants a home theater setup and Apple doesn't offer one. Plenty of other players DO offer at least 5.1 options. IMO, OP will be much better served to look elsewhere... UNLESS simple stereo covers 100% of his HT audio aspirations. He says "streaming music is secondary" and that- IMO- is the primary use of HPs.

Last edited:
Reactions: TroyJam

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I've had Polk Audio soundbars in secondary rooms for many years, currently have a few S1 and and S2. The S1s are connected via analog, the S2 is on HDMI ARC. No issues with any of them. They don't replace a full HT setup, but the dialog is clear, they are reasonably accurate musically and the subs are wireless and perfectly adequate at normal volumes.

The Polk Signa S4 adds atmos and a few other features is currently on sale for $349 from multiple retailers.

Another $250 gets you a Polk Magnify AX with wireless rear speakers and a better sub.

Anything past that $ I would recommend investing in a decent receiver and front speakers and build it out as you have the budget.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jxdawg

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I've had Polk Audio soundbars in secondary rooms for many years, currently have a few S1 and and S2. The S1s are connected via analog, the S2 is on HDMI ARC. No issues with any of them. They don't replace a full HT setup, but the dialog is clear, they are reasonably accurate musically and the subs are wireless and perfectly adequate at normal volumes.

The Polk Signa S4 adds atmos and a few other features is currently on sale for $349 from multiple retailers.

Another $250 gets you a Polk Magnify AX with wireless rear speakers and a better sub.

Anything past that $ I would recommend investing in a decent receiver and front speakers and build it out as you have the budget.

This is solid advice in a world where people don’t live in condos/apartments/closer quarters where a full on surround sound is impractical if you have to run it at 15% with night mode on with the sub volume down. I don’t understand why people keep comparing the HomePods to a 5.1 or 7.1.4. It’s at best a 3.1 comparison albeit with virtualized staging. But for most? That’s an audible upgrade while still offering incredibly good music performance as well.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
To get real Atmos, you need physical speakers to be all around you.
True but soundbars are for those that for various reasons can't set up a crap load of speakers. They serve a purpose and do it well. Those tiny speakers do have Dolby Atmos but you are right about the placement and etc...The Sonos Arc being the best is about music but not movies for some/most.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Apple people tend to be Apple biased. Some seem to operate like it is their job to help Apple get every possible nickel out of their fellow consumers. So everything not branded Apple is bad and only Apple things are good.

To embrace HomePods for this purpose dooms a buyer to 2-channel stereo at best. Modern home theater tends to revolve around 7.1 (7 speakers spread around you + 1 subwoofer) with some arguing for 11.1, 11.2 and others "getting by" with "a minimum" of 5.1 (that's 5 separate speakers positioned around you plus a subwoofer). The ATMOS game adds speakers above (ceiling). There is NO way to fake those kinds of setups with 2 speakers. It doesn't matter if they are claimed to be ATMOS or Dolby Digital X.Y or ATMOS Magical Liquid Retina Mach 4 Ultra on the box... and don't be fooled by marketing terms like immersive, spatial, etc. 2 speakers are 2 speakers. If all sound is coming from only 2 locations- you have a stereo setup at best.

HPs sound very good. If one can be happy with stereo-only, that may be a way to go. However, if one wants really great Home Theater sound, IMO- the minimum is 5.1 setup (front left, center, right, rear left & right + subwoofer), likely powered by a good (ideally great) receiver.

Soundbars play the same (marketing) game of claiming to be up to ATMOS in one container. No way. To get real Atmos, you need physical speakers to be all around you. Yes, technical trickery can seem to fake real speakers all around but you will definitely notice the difference when in a real ATMOS setup vs. any ATMOS soundbar setup. No soundbar delivers true ATMOS or even true surround sound. It's all technical trickery at best or just outright marketing puffery at worst.

Part of the magic of good surround is getting some physical distance between front left, center & right too. There are some soundbars that will let a left & right speaker part detach from the soundbar so they can be spread out a little further. Why do they bother with that unless there is some real audio benefit to separation? In that answer, you begin a case for truly separate left + center + right speakers, even in OPs "small room."

If you want true surround, you need physical speakers in surrounding positions. You are not surrounded with sound if the speaker(s) is in front of you.

Look to the professional setups as ultimate verification. Go to the cinema and look around at their speaker setup. You will find NO professional theater with one or two HPs down front. There will be speakers down front, to your left & right, behind you and 1 or 2+ big subs somewhere around there too. If HPs were just as good, I'm sure all revenue-pinched theaters would have long-since abandoned the many speaker setups for 2 HPs.

The bashing of all things not branded Apple is typical. I'm an Apple everything guy myself but I can assure anyone interested that Sonos Arc sounds VERY good as a soundbar. If one does the research, it is typically rated the BEST soundbar available. So if OP absolutely wants to go soundbar vs. left + center + right (which I have myself in my own home theater setup), I stand by the suggestion of saving up a little more for ARC and then perhaps adding the surrounding speakers and sub over time... something easily done with the Sonos system but impossible with HP.

I know we Apple people really, REALLY want HPs to be a great Home Theater option too... but it was never intended to be that (thus no surround sound software support at all from Apple). There is no HP Soundbar or Center HP speaker. There is no HP Subwoofer. There's not even rumors that any of those are coming. "We" seem to be imagining 2 or 3 full-size HPs out front and 2 minis behind us as a 5.1 sound setup but HP software has no support for that even if we buy the 5 speakers and lay them out like that... nor are there any rumors about that.

Sonos is not the only game in town either. But OP wants a home theater setup and Apple doesn't offer one. Plenty of other players DO offer at least 5.1 options. IMO, OP will be much better served to look elsewhere... UNLESS simple stereo covers 100% of his HT audio aspirations. He says "streaming music is secondary" and that- IMO- is the primary use of HPs.

Ok, so I'll bite on this, since I was downplaying the Sonos in favor of Homepods.

Look, I agree on all points here to an extent. Technically your post is spot on. There's no way that 2 speakers will magically become 11.2. Physical spacing between stereo speakers is a must, yes. Sonos has a better ecosystem for home theater specifically. But here's my deal...

1) Personally, I don't want more speakers anymore. Back in the day (before HDMI), I had a mid-range Yamaha receiver and wired Boston L&R shelf speakers, a center, two surrounds, and a sub. It sounded great when I got it all wired and set up and tuned, etc. Then we moved homes a bunch of times and technology caught up (see point 2). In our current house, there's zero way to run the wires. Zero. They will be seen or tripped over while moving in and out or through the room. Then there's the fact that the TV wall is extremely clean. We have the TV mounted with a picture wire mount so it's super flush to the wall, the cords roll down through the drywall, and the gear sits inside the back of an electric fireplace fake-mantle thing. That's it. If I had to guess, the cabinet is 55-60". So I don't have space to put anything more than two speakers (definitely NOT 3, back to your spacing point) -or- a soundbar. Additionally, my wife loves to decorate that fireplace "mantle" so I have even less space than the 55-60". All that to say... I don't have a ton of room up front for speakers. More on the rear side of the room in point 3.

2) Technology has improved audio. No longer do we need optical audio and 12-guage copper wiring. Yes, I can look at "professional theater setups" all day long, but this is my house. I don't need or want that at my house. I want something that is easy to set up, works 95% or more of the time without hassle, and sounds pretty darn good for movies, TV (sports), and music. Those are my requirements. There are some folks like you who demand better sound - cool. Good on ya. Do it, by all means, do it. If I had all the monetary means and a different layout (see point 3) and no decorating wife, I'd probably have something other than Homepods too. Moving on, yes historically, the "fake" surround has not been very good. It sounded spacy, kind of like when you messed with the "physical building space" options on an old receiver, like "Music hall" or "Concert hall" or whatever. It messed with the audio in a way that made it up-in-the-air somewhere (my very technical opinion). This latest iteration though... in the right room, sounds incredible. Unbelievable even. When the fake "atmos" bounces off the ceiling and walls around it, honestly, it does sound like there are more than just two speakers in the room. My buddy has a Sonos Beam 2 and a sub in a closed off, 14x14 room in his house, and dude, it sounds fantastic. But it's the same reason why Best Buy had Magnolia showrooms. In a controlled environment, you can make pretty much anything sound amazing. But...

3) My house isn't built perfectly for fake surround. The main TV is hung on the short wall of a 3 sided rectangle (2 short walls and one long wall on one side). It's open on the other long wall to the kitchen/bar/dining room. There was nothing for the Sonos Beam I had to bounce its sound off of on that side, so it sounded like all the sound was coming from the right, and nothing from the left. It sounded to me like a sub-$100 speaker that I paid $400 for. The rear right and left IKEA Sonos speakers helped some when they would connect properly, and I thought about purchasing the sub to help too... but I couldn't bring myself to spend another $700 on gear whos connectivity was spotty. So I decided to sell it all. Yes, my opinion, the one Homepod sounded almost as good on the TV wall in my house. Period. This is not an Apple fanboy talking Apple. It's not. It's my opinion, based on living in my own house.

So all that to say... we don't know the OP's space. Maybe he's got 30 feet to play with, has the monetary means in which to afford, and can install 11.2 while trying to emulate his local theater. My guess is, with an original budget of sub $350, those aren't true assumptions. So we can assume that it's a 12x12 space that's closed off. In that case he can get a very good bar + sub for that price, or just a Sonos soundbar, or yes, one Homepod (I personally am not recommending just one Homepod, though). My point is, if he were to go with one Homepod, he could benefit from Airplay from his iPhone AND could get a second down the road to enable "fake" surround in his 12x12 space.

Rifling through my tech drawer this weekend, I stumbled upon some old iPhones, traded them in at Apple, and drove home with two Homepod 2's. They're happily sitting in a stereo pair on our fake fireplace, enabled for "fake" atmos surround and do an.absolutely.insane.job.for.what.they.are. They are providing bass like the Homepod minis couldn't, and almost eliminate the need for the 2 Homepod mini's in our kitchen. Are they professional quality? Nope. Were they easy to set up, work 95% of the time, and sound pretty darn good? Yep.

So you can dismiss my post as Sonos bashing or Apple-hugging. Go for it. Hopefully the rest of us understand that I'm attempting to level with the OP. Helping him think through the whole scenario of price, room setup, ease of setup and use, overall ecosystem, other benefits, etc, while sharing my historically accurate to me use-cases.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL

Oh gosh, I had an S1 for a couple months before our house flooded and the "wood" of the sub caved in after soaking up a crap-ton of whater. Honestly, it sounded pretty darn good in the kids room!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Ok, so I'll bite on this, since I was downplaying the Sonos in favor of Homepods.

Look, I agree on all points here to an extent. Technically your post is spot on. There's no way that 2 speakers will magically become 11.2. Physical spacing between stereo speakers is a must, yes. Sonos has a better ecosystem for home theater specifically. But here's my deal...

1) Personally, I don't want more speakers anymore. Back in the day (before HDMI), I had a mid-range Yamaha receiver and wired Boston L&R shelf speakers, a center, two surrounds, and a sub. It sounded great when I got it all wired and set up and tuned, etc. Then we moved homes a bunch of times and technology caught up (see point 2). In our current house, there's zero way to run the wires. Zero. They will be seen or tripped over while moving in and out or through the room. Then there's the fact that the TV wall is extremely clean. We have the TV mounted with a picture wire mount so it's super flush to the wall, the cords roll down through the drywall, and the gear sits inside the back of an electric fireplace fake-mantle thing. That's it. If I had to guess, the cabinet is 55-60". So I don't have space to put anything more than two speakers (definitely NOT 3, back to your spacing point) -or- a soundbar. Additionally, my wife loves to decorate that fireplace "mantle" so I have even less space than the 55-60". All that to say... I don't have a ton of room up front for speakers. More on the rear side of the room in point 3.

2) Technology has improved audio. No longer do we need optical audio and 12-guage copper wiring. Yes, I can look at "professional theater setups" all day long, but this is my house. I don't need or want that at my house. I want something that is easy to set up, works 95% or more of the time without hassle, and sounds pretty darn good for movies, TV (sports), and music. Those are my requirements. There are some folks like you who demand better sound - cool. Good on ya. Do it, by all means, do it. If I had all the monetary means and a different layout (see point 3) and no decorating wife, I'd probably have something other than Homepods too. Moving on, yes historically, the "fake" surround has not been very good. It sounded spacy, kind of like when you messed with the "physical building space" options on an old receiver, like "Music hall" or "Concert hall" or whatever. It messed with the audio in a way that made it up-in-the-air somewhere (my very technical opinion). This latest iteration though... in the right room, sounds incredible. Unbelievable even. When the fake "atmos" bounces off the ceiling and walls around it, honestly, it does sound like there are more than just two speakers in the room. My buddy has a Sonos Beam 2 and a sub in a closed off, 14x14 room in his house, and dude, it sounds fantastic. But it's the same reason why Best Buy had Magnolia showrooms. In a controlled environment, you can make pretty much anything sound amazing. But...

3) My house isn't built perfectly for fake surround. The main TV is hung on the short wall of a 3 sided rectangle (2 short walls and one long wall on one side). It's open on the other long wall to the kitchen/bar/dining room. There was nothing for the Sonos Beam I had to bounce its sound off of on that side, so it sounded like all the sound was coming from the right, and nothing from the left. It sounded to me like a sub-$100 speaker that I paid $400 for. The rear right and left IKEA Sonos speakers helped some when they would connect properly, and I thought about purchasing the sub to help too... but I couldn't bring myself to spend another $700 on gear whos connectivity was spotty. So I decided to sell it all. Yes, my opinion, the one Homepod sounded almost as good on the TV wall in my house. Period. This is not an Apple fanboy talking Apple. It's not. It's my opinion, based on living in my own house.

So all that to say... we don't know the OP's space. Maybe he's got 30 feet to play with, has the monetary means in which to afford, and can install 11.2 while trying to emulate his local theater. My guess is, with an original budget of sub $350, those aren't true assumptions. So we can assume that it's a 12x12 space that's closed off. In that case he can get a very good bar + sub for that price, or just a Sonos soundbar, or yes, one Homepod (I personally am not recommending just one Homepod, though). My point is, if he were to go with one Homepod, he could benefit from Airplay from his iPhone AND could get a second down the road to enable "fake" surround in his 12x12 space.

Rifling through my tech drawer this weekend, I stumbled upon some old iPhones, traded them in at Apple, and drove home with two Homepod 2's. They're happily sitting in a stereo pair on our fake fireplace, enabled for "fake" atmos surround and do an.absolutely.insane.job.for.what.they.are. They are providing bass like the Homepod minis couldn't, and almost eliminate the need for the 2 Homepod mini's in our kitchen. Are they professional quality? Nope. Were they easy to set up, work 95% of the time, and sound pretty darn good? Yep.

So you can dismiss my post as Sonos bashing or Apple-hugging. Go for it. Hopefully the rest of us understand that I'm attempting to level with the OP. Helping him think through the whole scenario of price, room setup, ease of setup and use, overall ecosystem, other benefits, etc, while sharing my historically accurate to me use-cases.

More power to you and all of us man. To each his own. Your wants & needs are as good as mine and anyone else's. What works best for whatever you want is terrific for you. And exactly what is best for you may be best for OP too. Or not.

My main encouragement to OP was to see a speaker purchase differently. Instead of trying to minimize spend, recognize that a speaker- any speaker (except probably HP due to the software dependency)- will likely outlast ALL things he buys from Apple, including multi-thousand dollar tech like a loaded Mac. Good speakers are likely to sound just as good 10-20 or more years down the road. Nothing we buy from Apple today is likely to be in service and up to date even 7 years down the road. So instead of pinching this budget, a product with such a long useful life may be worth shifting an Apple premium budget towards it.

OP specially says music is secondary, so HP is probably not best choice for OP. That's not putting HP down or anything, just not fitting Apple's ONLY round offering to OPs square hole.

OP seems to want to go the Soundbar route. If so, he can probably have the generally BEST-rated soundbar for not too much over his budget and about 50-70% of a single iPhone purchase if he considers a refurb and/or catches the rare sale. And if he goes that way, he will at least have the OPTION to add home theater speakers and/or SUB to it over time to further flesh out any kind of home theater setup he wants... with well-refined software already in place to fully support surround sound, subwoofer, etc (none of which exists with HP or is even rumored to be coming).

I'm not arguing that OP should absolutely buy Sonos or consider only Sonos Arc either. IMO, the best home theater still strives for 3 separate speakers up front and at least 2 in the back with a subwoofer too. But Arc is not too far over his budget, is best rated and facilities building out a pretty good-sounding home theater setup over time.

Unlike Apple, Sonos is solely focused on Speakers so they are likely to remain focused on making their stuff work as good as they can. Apple could drop the new HPs just like they dropped the first generation... and/or make future HPs not pair with existing ones (also just like gen 2 vs. gen 1), etc.

Taking OP absolutely literally- including budget- I think post #14 has the best option for OP. Soundbar plus wireless link to sub with potentially 2 rear speakers linked to that sub. I've seen plenty of that in homes without easy wire routing options and/or people not wanting a receiver-based approach for any reasons too and it can do a pretty good job of actually surrounding a person with real sound without trickery and be relatively inexpensive.

But if OP can scratch up a little more money, I know first hand that Arc sounds great... and Sonos will give him an easy way to expand his audio setup with software already in place and refined... ready for whenever OP might want to add another piece(s). It also works great with Apple Music and Airplay 2 to cover some of the major benefits of HPs for about the same price as 2 of them.

Last edited:

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
More power to you and all of us man. To each his own. Your wants & needs are as good as mine and anyone else's. What works best for whatever you want is terrific for you. And exactly what is best for you may be best for OP too. Or not.

My main encouragement to OP was to see a speaker purchase differently. Instead of trying to minimize spend, recognize that a speaker- any speaker (except probably HP due to the software dependency)- will likely outlast ALL things he buys from Apple, including multi-thousand dollar tech like a loaded Mac. Good speakers are likely to sound just as good 10-20 or more years down the road. Nothing we buy from Apple today is likely to be in service and up to date even 7 years down the road. So instead of pinching this budget, a product with such a long useful life may be worth shifting an Apple premium budget towards it.

OP specially says music is secondary, so HP is probably not best choice for OP. That's not putting HP down or anything, just not fitting Apple's ONLY round offering to OPs square hole.

OP seems to want to go the Soundbar route. If so, he can probably have the generally BEST-rated soundbar for not too much over his budget and about 50-70% of a single iPhone purchase if he considers a refurb and/or catches the rare sale. And if he goes that way, he will at least have the OPTION to add home theater speakers and/or SUB to it over time to further flesh out any kind of home theater setup he wants... with well-refined software already in place to fully support surround sound, subwoofer, etc (none of which exists with HP or is even rumored to be coming).

I'm not arguing that OP should absolutely buy Sonos or consider only Sonos Arc either. IMO, the best home theater still strives for 3 separate speakers up front and at least 2 in the back with a subwoofer too. But Arc is not too far over his budget, is best rated and facilities building out a pretty good-sounding home theater setup over time.

Unlike Apple, Sonos is solely focused on Speakers so they are likely to remain focused on making their stuff work as good as they can. Apple could drop the new HPs just like they dropped the first generation... and/or make future HPs not pair with existing ones (also just like gen 2 vs. gen 1), etc.

Taking OP absolutely literally- including budget- I think post #14 has the best option for OP. Soundbar plus wireless link to sub with potentially 2 rear speakers linked to that sub. I've seen plenty of that in homes without easy wire routing options and/or people not wanting a receiver-based approach for any reasons too and it can do a pretty good job of actually surrounding a person with real sound without trickery and be relatively inexpensive.

But if OP can scratch up a little more money, I know first hand that Arc sounds great... and Sonos will give him an easy way to expand his audio setup with software already in place and refined... ready for whenever OP might want to add another piece(s). It also works great with Apple Music and Airplay 2 to cover some of the major benefits of HPs for about the same price as 2 of them.

I don't see anything in the OPs original posts that say that there are space or wiring concerns that a soundbar is the only option. At the $350 price point there are a dozen decent options for soundbars that would probably provide the best bang for the buck for the TV shows, movies and sports the OP is planning on using it for.

Pushing to a $700-$900 soundbar doesn't male a lot of sense when the same money at accessories4less.com (factory authorized refurbished) could buy a decent receiver and speakers that would be truly flexible and upgradable and not be tied to a specific manufacturer like Sonos or Apple.

For instance a well regarded Yamaha RX-V4A at $229 and a $500-600 dollar pair of KEF, Polk, Def Tech, Focal, or B&W bookshelf speakers would kick the crap out of that Arc and a great starting point for a larger system down the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.