Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caesar_091

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Italy
Hello,

since the last OS update when I try to change the volume from the Apple keyboard sound keys I hear no sound feedback from my speakers. Also if I run a full screen app (i.e. a game from Steam library) and than I try to change the volume level from the keyboard only the sound level of the foreground app is changed but not the sound from any other app (like the sound output of a YouTube video playing in in Firefox in background); sometimes just no app sound level changes when I try to change it from the keyboard.

My actual config is the one in sign; I use a 2.1 set of speakers since 2006, so no changes at all from the "sound device" side of my config. In system preferences everything look as it should be (line output, play user interface sound effects, feedback when volume is changed and the R/L balance is ok too).

I also tried to change the sound output device as internal speakers and again I can't hear any feedback sound when I try to change the volume level from the keyboard but both internal and external speackers does works (and if I can always see the graphical feedback item appearing on screen when I push the volume key).

Did somebody had this issue too on 10.14.4?
Any idea on how to fix this annoying issue?

I already tried to reset the PRAM and playing/changing the output device and than back to the lineout one with no luck.

TIA

Caesar_091

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Italy
Thanks for the reply but I found how to solve this issue!

Doesn't looks like related to 10.14.4 update. As a matter of fact I recently installed MonitorControl utility to set displays brightness from Finder's GUI. Quitting the utility everything worked as usual. I than played a little bit more with the utility and I found on the preferences pane an option (in the "Keys" tab) about listen for "Both brightness & Volume" or "Volume only" or "Brightness only". By default it was on the first setting and changing it to the third one fixed the issue on my config.

Reactions: crjackson2134
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.