Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
If I open up Garageband and go to the Garageband menu, Sound Library, and Download All Available Sounds, where do I tell Garageband where to save them? My primary SSD is running out of space, and I'd like to use my external SSD instead. Can anyone let me know how to do it, please?

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
You can't do that in GB. You can in Logic Pro, but GB expects to find the sound libraries and loops on the host drive. This is why I never recommend anything less than 512GB storage for anyone using even GB let alone Logic.
That said you have a Mac Studio according to your signature, so surely you do have at least 512GB? Maybe you need to buy an external drive to shuffle documents to that you don't need on your primary drive.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
You can't do that in GB. You can in Logic Pro, but GB expects to find the sound libraries and loops on the host drive. This is why I never recommend anything less than 512GB storage for anyone using even GB let alone Logic.
That said you have a Mac Studio according to your signature, so surely you do have at least 512GB? Maybe you need to buy an external drive to shuffle documents to that you don't need on your primary drive.
If I got Logic Pro, would the best thing be to remove the GB sound library and start from scratch by re-downloading everything in Logic Pro? Does Logic Pro include everything that is in GB?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Where does GB install all of the sound library stuff?

It seems to me you should be able to use one or more "symbolic links" to get it onto the external SSD.
In the Music folder in the home directory. I could do it with symbolic links, but that seems like a hack. I've downloaded everything in GB anyway, and it is not as much storage required as I thought, so I'll stick to the defaults for the moment. I'll worry about if I end up buying Logic Pro.

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
This year I began moving from a decade-old version of GarageBand (as my iMac 2017 had said "Enough already!") to the current version on my new MBP 14".

What. A. Nightmare!!!
I put this off as long as I could.
(Honestly, got a bad laugh when I went to edit instruments, only to see that HERE they went from more traditional sliders and such BACK to skeuomorphisms with amp knobs, etc. Ick. I did find a setting to control this, though).

QUESTIONS
1. How do I move all my sounds from the "Legacy" folder/category into their respective categories? Ex. I need to move all of my "Bass" sounds into ONE folder. GB created several duplicates:

1661119645591.png

2. Can I move stuff out of "User Patches" into the correct category? Ex. I created a "Rainy Night Piano" patch that I'd like to live in the "Piano" folder.

I realize there's a Search Bar, but it'd be a whole lot easier for me if I could also navigate to the folders as I could in older versions of GB to audition sounds.

I tried moving bass patches around in Finder, but they still show up in GB in different categories/folders and I don't understand how that is.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.