Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

askywalker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
2 audio questions:

1) What do you recommend for external speakers? I'd like something that sounds nice (mostly music & personal video editing), is fairly small (needs to fit on my desk), and around $100 to $200. I heard the Z-10's are pretty good?

2) I am nervous about my sound output on my new MBP (15" 2.4). I have a Cambridge Soundworks setup that I used with my Dell, but for some reason plugging my new MBP doesn't work. Same goes for a pair of boston acoustic speakers. On my windows desktop I need to choose the 'digital audio output only' in the sound setup to get the Boston Acoustics to work - so I tried looking for a similar option on the Mac. The cable looks like it should work - fits in the headphone jack right? No sound... Anything I can try? Is there some kind of breakout cable I should try?

Thanks!

Megatron

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2005
1) For a simple 2.1 system, I really like the Klipsch Promedia 2.1. You should be able to find them for $100-150.

2) Do you have a simple pair of headphones? Try using that and see if you get any audio output from the MBP headphone jack first.

askywalker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
1) For a simple 2.1 system, I really like the Klipsch Promedia 2.1. You should be able to find them for $100-150.
I will check them out - thanks

2) Do you have a simple pair of headphones? Try using that and see if you get any audio output from the MBP headphone jack first.
Headphones work fine. I am assuming it is something to do with the digital audio - since both of my speaker setups are digital. Is your Klipsch setup a digital or analog connection?

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
The digital out on the MBP is optical only for digital audio. Otherwise you can only plug in a standard stereo miniplug(1/8in) for audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.