Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Hello,

I have only had a Mac now since November, and I am not sure if this is a problem because I don't know Mac's well or if this is a problem to add to the extensive list on my MBP.

The problem is the sound stops working. Not the sound for like if I was watching a movie or something. No more the Sound effects like the Trashcan emptying or a that ting when copying a file into the application folder.

So what gives? This has been happening a lot lately and I can't figure out what is going on... Does this happen to anyone else? The only way I've found for a solution is to restart. Which is a pretty big annoyance since just last night I restarted because the same problem was occurring.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Go to your system preferences, click on "Sound" and then on the "Sound Effects" tab make sure "Play user interface sound effects" is checked. It seems like that is getting fudged somehow. Somebody will tell you about a plist file most likely but I don't get into that stuff.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Go to your system preferences, click on "Sound" and then on the "Sound Effects" tab make sure "Play user interface sound effects" is checked. It seems like that is getting fudged somehow. Somebody will tell you about a plist file most likely but I don't get into that stuff.

Hmm those are all clicked on...

Edit: I clicked them off and then back on, but still I have none...

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Try opening and then closing Garageband to reset your Audi MIDI settings. :)

I just restarted my computer and that fixed it. I'll try to do the Garageband thing next time. Should I just open it and close it or do anything more?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Opening and closing it should suffice, although usually the Audio MIDI problem isn't solvable with a restart so maybe you've got a different problem. I'll be interested to hear how it goes. :)

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Opening and closing it should suffice, although usually the Audio MIDI problem isn't solvable with a restart so maybe you've got a different problem. I'll be interested to hear how it goes. :)

Well I have about 20 other problems currently with my mac. So I think I'm going to take it in some time. However, they want me to do a clean install...:( (this face should be crying) before they'll have anything to do with me. Plus school is crazy now, but once that all settles I'll take it in then. I'll get back to this thread then.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Good question. I don't use ClearDock but I use UNO and that carries over to new accounts. Nevertheless, a new user account will give you a fresh (default) set of preferences and settings. If the new account is better, then you can narrow the problem down to your original Home folder. :)

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Good question. I don't use ClearDock but I use UNO and that carries over to new accounts. Nevertheless, a new user account will give you a fresh (default) set of preferences and settings. If the new account is better, then you can narrow the problem down to your original Home folder. :)

Alright cool. I have UNO on mine as well. Well I'm gonna try that out and then see what happens. The Apple genius wouldn't touch my computer once he saw clear dock on there so maybe this will help a little bit.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills

Alright cool. I have UNO on mine as well. Well I'm gonna try that out and then see what happens. The Apple genius wouldn't touch my computer once he saw clear dock on there so maybe this will help a little bit.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
The same thing happens all of the time on my iBook. All of a sudden the sound will just stop working but the volume indicator shows that I should be getting full sound. Restarting is the only thing that works, but I'd love to know how to prevent this from happening.

Gandalf!

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
Fast User Switching?

I've also tried to figure this out. The closest I've come is that it seems to be related to Fast User Switching (being on). It has never happened to me when that isn't on. It's a problem I've noticed for over a year and no OS update has fixed it.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Just for an update i haven't tried anything yet but it has fixed itself... I actually keep running in to problems and most of the time they keep fixing themselves... It's a very weird situation.

The only thing that I have taken off of my computer at all is Shapeshifter, but the problems stopped a little while before that...

soundof

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2007
was pinched wire

In my case (intel Mini), it was a pinched wire from the last time I opened the Mini. I was tired and didn't notice that the 2 black wires going to the power button got pinched when I put in the screw that goes in that corner of the case.

The sound would stop at random, and would only come back after restarting or a sleep/wake cycle. It started happening more and more often over the past couple of months, maybe once a week at first, until today where it didn't even stay on for 5 minutes.

After a drop of glue to repair the damage done to the insulation of 1 of the wires and a careful reassembly, all is well.

srogers1

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
Sound Croaks

this happens to me also. restart always fixes it. wierd.

Ditto - I have a MacBook Pro running 10.4.10 and it's been doing this for a while. After reboot, everything is fine, but after a day or two, system sounds quit working, such as emptying the trash. It also seems to break all the little "alert" notices that apps make, such as incoming chats.

It seemed to start when I added connect and disconnect sounds in iChat, but I've since taken those out, and the problem persists. I suspect it's some system service that's dying (associated with the "play interface sounds" selection in user preferences) but i haven't tried to hunt it down or figure out how to restart it. It's danged annoying.

If anyone comes up with a fix, please post. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.