Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shazkar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
(on a 2.0 ghz MacBook w/2GB of (user installed OWC) RAM.)

(No problems in OS X with this)

I don't know if this is a new problem, but I think it is, I didn't notice it last week..

But in WinXP now there is sound stuttering basically whenever I do... anything. Like open a tab in firefox, click on the start menu, ANYTHING. I dunno what's wrong.

I did install BC 1.1 drivers but that didn't fix it.

Any ideas?

If no one can figure anything out, I'll reinstalled my windows partition because I think the 30GB I gave it is too much and this gives me a way to kill 2 birds with one stone

Shazkar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
Addendum to my problem: this only happens when my Macbook is not plugged into the power source.

Can someone on a Macbook please go on Windows XP in boot camp, not plugged in to charge, and log off and see if the log off sound stutters like mad?

I'd much appreciate it!

Shazkar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
If no one can help me with this problem, can someone at least confirm that it DOES or DOES NOT happen to them in the scenario above?

cocacola5373

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
Same problem here!!

Hi, this is exactly the same problem I have with my Macbook. 1.83, 512mb, SMC 1.4f10, bootcamp 1.1, Windows XP Pro.

I have tried everything as well. I have reinstalled the audio drivers and still the same problem.

Did you format your XP partition as NTFS or did you leave it as FAT32? I had left mine as FAT32 and am wondering if this may be the cause.

I've tried the web to see if anybody else is experiencing this. Either people haven't noticed this since they have been using their Macbooks with the power adapter or I am doing something wrong.

My two other buddies have the same problem and I am sure it is not a problem of lack of ram since he has his Macbook maxed out to 2Gb of ram as well. I noticed the stuttering while playing mp3s in windows media player while surfing. Like you, the sound stutters when i maximize or minimize browser windows and tabs.

Hope someone can help us with this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
If it only happens when running on battery, it is likely related to a power setting. Go into the power options and play around.

cocacola5373

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
Hey timswim78, thanks for the quick reply and advise. Unfortunately, the power options in Win XP control panel does not let you control CPU throttling, etc. It just lets you set the time before the lcd, hard disk and cpu either turn off or sleeps.

Shazkar, any joy over at your end?

Any other input will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

cocacola5373

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
I wonder if other people exoerience this too. Either that or they're always plugged in thats why they don't notice.

I wish someone can shed some light on this since I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. Its getting really frustrating for me.

:(

cocacola5373

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
Problem Solved!

Finally, after 3 intense days of searching and testing, I finally found out what was giving the problem.

Go to Control Panel ---> Intel(R) GMA Driver for Mobile --> Display Settings --> Power Settings --> UNCHECK Intel(R) Display Power Saving Technology --> click Apply, OK, then you're done!!

Apparently, others saw this as mouse lag problem while we saw it as a sound stutter problem. Anyway, whats important is there is a solution to the problem.

Hope this helps everyone who is experiencing this.

Cheers!

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
cocacola5373 said:
Finally, after 3 intense days of searching and testing, I finally found out what was giving the problem.

Go to Control Panel ---> Intel(R) GMA Driver for Mobile --> Display Settings --> Power Settings --> UNCHECK Intel(R) Display Power Saving Technology --> click Apply, OK, then you're done!!

Apparently, others saw this as mouse lag problem while we saw it as a sound stutter problem. Anyway, whats important is there is a solution to the problem.

Hope this helps everyone who is experiencing this.

Cheers!
What else does this option do? Wouldn't this decrease battery life?

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
Got the same problem here!
thanks for the fix, will try it out tonight and post results

cocacola5373

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
This might affect battery life while using Windows XP but I don't expect it to be a significant difference.

By the way, since Bootcamp 1.1.1 has been released, this issue has been fixed so you now do not need to turn of Display Power Saving. It was not listed under the list of bug fixes but it does work.

Great job Apple! Cheers!

Hope this helps.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
cocacola5373 said:
This might affect battery life while using Windows XP but I don't expect it to be a significant difference.

By the way, since Bootcamp 1.1.1 has been released, this issue has been fixed so you now do not need to turn of Display Power Saving. It was not listed under the list of bug fixes but it does work.

Great job Apple! Cheers!

Hope this helps.

How can I install just the drivers from 1.1.1. without having to reinstall bootcamp/xp?
I just installed 1.1 a week ago...

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Khurram said:
How can I install just the drivers from 1.1.1. without having to reinstall bootcamp/xp?
I just installed 1.1 a week ago...

You dont have to reinstall XP. Simply download the Bootcamp update –*it will automatically update BC to 1.1.1, and then go open up the app and burn another driver. CD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.