Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Hello everyone. I noticed a Soundfreaq SQF-04 bluetooth speaker system in my local super Target store last night, and after doing some research it seems it's not widely available... so, I picked the unit up and have done a small Youtube review for anyone interested.

It's a pretty interesting option, as it is fairly compact (a bit bigger than the Bose SoundLink but much more compact than most bluetooth portables) and the sound quality is "decent" if not outstanding.

Ultimately I am torn on whether to return it or not, as I do want a portable speaker I can use at my office and also take on vacation but the sound from the SQF-04 was a little thin... by comparison the Bose SoundLink sounds better (especially on low end), but sounds a bit muffled in the mid-range and obviously there's a rather hefty price difference between the two (Sound Kick is $99 and the Bose unit is $299).

I did notice that the only other review out there right now appears to be from iLounge who gave it an absolutely gushing review. If I had to give this a star rating it would be about 3 stars (maybe 3.5) and if I had to give it a letter rating it would get a B- or a B at best. Not sure why iLounge felt it was incredible enough to get an A rating, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYaEn2RFcqY&feature=g-upl&context=G2c75088AUAAAAAAAAAA

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
To switch devices, you need to turn off the Bluetooth from the first device, then turn on the Bluetooth on the second device. You shouldn't need to keep pairing back and forth.

Do agree that this is an annoying aspect of using Bluetooth compared to AirPlay.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Thanks Llama. I am still torn between the Sound Kick and the Bose Sound Link. Unfortunately don't have both at the moment for a head to head comparison.

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Llama. I am still torn between the Sound Kick and the Bose Sound Link. Unfortunately don't have both at the moment for a head to head comparison.

Don't forget the Big Jambox will be released soon too! That will compete more with the Bose though at $299. :)

I currently have a Jambox and love the portability of it. Usually have it the Live Audio mode with brings out some of the low end at the expense of volume. The Sound Kick just shipped for me today so I'll be able to compare them as well.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
That's true, the Jambox Big could be a real contender. My wife loves the Jambox because it's "cute" and she thinks it's really neat that it produces music that is tolerable.

To me, listening to it was painful, kind of what I imagine it would be like listening to baby seals being clubbed (well, maybe not that bad :p).

Soundfreaq Sound Kick, without a doubt sounds better than Jambox, but it should, it's like 10X larger.

Bsbarber

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
I own both the sound kick and the soundlink. In my opinion you can't go wrong with the sound kick if you want a portable speaker for $100. It sounds great even at full volume. Compared to the soundlink it lacks bass and volume but is suitable for its price point. The sound kick does a great job filling a small to medium room with clean sound but does lack a bit in volume level and bass response when outdoors. I still prefer my soundlink for over all performance and quality but it is $200 more in price to be fair. The sound kick lacks greatly in volume compared to other systems in its price range but is way louder than the jambox

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.