Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tico24

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
They're definitely louder, but not massively improved in quality

I disagree. The ones on my old iphone were so crap that you couldn't listen to music at full volume through the speakers for fear of getting terrible distortion. These ones, you can turn all the way up to 11 and there's no distortion.

Same volume abilities, better quality.

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
There is a huge difference for me...much clearer and louder. A major, major improvement over 1st generation!

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
the 50% setting on my 3g phone is at least as loud as 100% on my old phone.

maybe my old phone had the crappiest of 1st gen speakers, but this one is so loud it scares me

Edit: Forgot to clarify, i am talking about the speakerphone/speaker :)

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
The earpiece speaker is waaay better. I couldn't hear my old iPhone to save my life if I was driving in my Jeep; new one is much better, presumably in part to the new metal speaker grills instead of the old fabric/membrane ones that were dust/dirt magnets.

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
The earpiece speaker is waaay better. I couldn't hear my old iPhone to save my life if I was driving in my Jeep; new one is much better, presumably in part to the new metal speaker grills instead of the old fabric/membrane ones that were dust/dirt magnets.

Now i have the white and black iphoen the black one sounds better but the white one sounds kinda off

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I guess it's subjective, but mine sounds MUCH louder than before. The earpiece needs to be turned down a little bit and the speakerphone is super loud.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Mine is definitely louder. I about jumped out of my seat when it rang for the first time. Speakers aren't great for listening to music, but considering how small they are, it is pretty amazing.

It is a noticable improvement for sure..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.