Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpecSpy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2023
Hey folks,

I'm planning a trip to South Korea next year and wanted to get your advice on photography spots. Any must-visit locations or iconic scenes I should put on my bucket list? I'm really into landscape shots so anywhere with great scenic views is high on my list.

Also, for those who've been - any tips on photographing locals? I always find street photography fascinating but don't want to intrude on people's daily lives. Any etiquette tips you can share?

Let me know if you have any photo recommendations or local insights to share! Looking forward to capturing the unique sights of South Korea.

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
Lots of photography spots in Jeju island if you’re into landscape shots.

My favorite is the Seongsan sunrise Peak, when viewing from the Seopjikoji-ro.

The local Koreans usually prefer not to be captured on strangers' cameras.

SpecSpy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2023
Thanks for the tip about Seongsan sunrise Peak, that sounds breathtaking! I'll definitely add it to my itinerary. For street photos, do you have any recommendations on etiquette aside from obvious things like blurring faces? Is it considered rude even if the subject isn't directly looking at the camera? I want to respect local customs while also getting authentic scenes of everyday life. Any other spots on Jeju worth exploring?

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
Is it considered rude even if the subject isn't directly looking at the camera?
No. They wouldn't mind if they are in the background of your photo and not being the main focus.

Spots that fit landscape lovers (some I have enjoyed):

• Seongsan Ilchulbong (Sunrise Peak)
  • Gwakji Beach and other beaches
  • Seopjikoji
  • Sanbangsan Mountain
  • The north and northeast coastal road
  • Saebyeol Oreum
  • Hallasan
  • Udo (Cow Island)
  • Jusangjeolli Cliff
  • Sangumburi Crater
  • Ora-dong Buckwheat Field

For photo spots for everyday life:

• Dongmun Traditional Market
  • rural areas in Seogwipo

SpecSpy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2023
A few of those spots like Seongsan Sunrise Peak and Hallasan really appeal to me for scenic landscape shots.

I came across this guide for photography in Seoul too https://gowithguide.com/blog/seoul-tourism-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5535. Any thoughts on good areas to explore the contrast of modern and traditional architecture there? Also, any tips for photographing people without making them uncomfortable?

Can't wait to experience the beauty of South Korea through my camera lens. Really appreciate you sharing your local expertise!

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
Regrettably I have yet to visit Seoul. That guide seems comprehensive though.

any tips for photographing people without making them uncomfortable?

I don't have much experience. Perhaps it would be better to seek permission beforehand? Younger generations tend to be more open-minded in such matters.

SpecSpy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2023
No problem, thanks anyway for your insight so far. You're right that getting permission is best when photographing people. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.