Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JuicyJones

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I was at the Apple Store looking for the Space Black band and was told "We had to send our try on unit back because it got all scratched up".

Has anyone who has already received their Black Stainless Watch w/ Link Bracelet had this same experience? I ordered this model and it isn't scheduled to arrive until July but this worries me now that I've heard this.

Hosei

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
NY, NY
Yea I'd love to know how it holds up since buffing it out like the stainless steel version is not an option. It should be much more resistant to scratches but some anecdotes would be appreciated :)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I was at the Apple Store looking for the Space Black band and was told "We had to send our try on unit back because it got all scratched up".

Has anyone who has already received their Black Stainless Watch w/ Link Bracelet had this same experience? I ordered this model and it isn't scheduled to arrive until July but this worries me now that I've heard this.

There not in the wild yet everyone's is delayed

Carac

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015

I saw somewhere that the in store examples that were out there were just black anodized and not DLC deposition. Which is why they started pulling them out of displays in addition to the color not being representative of the final product. It's also why they changed the color on the web site, because they hadn't finalized the DLC process and were only speculating what the final product will look like. I've worn my Space Black all day and accidentally brushed against at cinderblock, not a mark on it.

Carac

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
So they are finally!!!

Lots of pics in the Space black shipping thread. Here's mine.

hvjq34dwvldyvwqve4bf.jpg

Reactions: IphoneIssues

Treebs

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Chicago
Lots of pics in the Space black shipping thread. Here's mine.

Though that coating is probably radiculously strong I think the regular stainless looks a little classier. IMO, of course. It kinda looks like it's spray painted. Don't get me wrong, I like it and probably should have gotten one because I work in construction. I'm just more of a silver stainless guy I guess. I've already taken a Dremel to my stainless to polish it once and will probably be doing it often. No, I'm not saying the space black is ugly. I can't tell in the pictures maybe there is more depth to the finish and it would look better in person. Still looks nice.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Slight scratch on mine but you have to be in the right lighting and focus to see it.

...and it's more than likely material that was deposited on top of the DLC coating, rather than an actual scratch of the DLC.

We have to remember that Apple's is a modern DLC preparation and that Apple most certainly sought out the best DLC plating company out there.

We've all been enjoying this scratch test video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LAMOpEVq4

There's a number of discussions about DLC (both old and newer applications) that are of value here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?223503-Personal-experience-with-PVD-DLC-watches

Not a bad discussion here either: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/tru...h-tech-diamond-scratch-resistance-181216.html

(obviously, I've ordered the SB SS) :)

The problem is, most people equate PVD to DLC. Someone mentioned this earlier. The problem is, the jewellery / watch industry tends to call them all PVD, which means you're going to have a wide variance in terms of durability. You could use the PVD process to put almost any coating on a substance. If you use that process to bond DLC to it, and do a little preparation treatment in advance, you can create a finish that is almost scratch proof.

You always have to say almost - as while it is Diamond-Like Carbon, it's not diamond. Keep engagement rings away from your watch. :)

Everyone's hoping that this DLC coating is as good as that video demonstrates. (but, no-one's willing to risk their watch doing scratch tests either) :)

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
...and it's more than likely material that was deposited on top of the DLC coating, rather than an actual scratch of the DLC.

We have to remember that Apple's is a modern DLC preparation and that Apple most certainly sought out the best DLC plating company out there.

We've all been enjoying this scratch test video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LAMOpEVq4

There's a number of discussions about DLC (both old and newer applications) that are of value here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?223503-Personal-experience-with-PVD-DLC-watches

Not a bad discussion here either: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/tru...h-tech-diamond-scratch-resistance-181216.html

The problem is, most people equate PVD to DLC. Someone mentioned this earlier. The problem is, the jewellery / watch industry tends to call them all PVD, which means you're going to have a wide variance in terms of durability. You could use the PVD process to put almost any coating on a substance. If you use that process to bond DLC to it, and do a little preparation treatment in advance, you can create a finish that is almost scratch proof.

You always have to say almost - as while it is Diamond-Like Carbon, it's not diamond. Keep engagement rings away from your watch. :)

Everyone's hoping that this DLC coating is as good as that video demonstrates. (but, no-one's willing to risk their watch doing scratch tests either) :)

It's definitely a very slight scratch. Tried rubbing it out but it's been there a few days. I'm not complaining though. It's the only marking I've noticed so far, and DLC doesn't mean scratch proof. If I had the standard stainless steel I'd probably have about a dozen micro scratches by now.

Wishbrah

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
It's definitely a very slight scratch. Tried rubbing it out but it's been there a few days. I'm not complaining though. It's the only marking I've noticed so far, and DLC doesn't mean scratch proof. If I had the standard stainless steel I'd probably have about a dozen micro scratches by now.

Post a pic, yo! Most ppl haven't received their Space Black yet.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Space Black Stainless Steal Scratching

Here it is. Very slight scratch around the bezel (to the right).

Side note- I love this picture.

db6a559d644dbcbbf0ca3701649220a4.jpg

----------

But if I take a picture under normal lighting, you wouldn't even know it's there.

483fb247cc12574f8061743adeadb5fb.jpg

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

I did some scratch testing on the back of one of my extra links and although it took quite a bit of scratching with the point of a pair of scissors, I managed to leave a scratch. So I would say that the coating is not that great. I'm sure some moron will be totally trashing one of these soon, so we will really see how durable they really are.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I did some scratch testing on the back of one of my extra links and although it took quite a bit of scratching with the point of a pair of scissors, I managed to leave a scratch. So I would say that the coating is not that great. I'm sure some moron will be totally trashing one of these soon, so we will really see how durable they really are.

Pictures? Have you tried wiping away the scratch? Did you see black coming off on the scissor point?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada

I think someone posted this link on the SB owners thread:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...move-scratches-from-black-finished-DLC-blades

So, you can try a simple pencil eraser. They said acetone also works, so try nail polish remover. My guess, unless that was a carbide blade you were using, the scratch is on top of the DLC. (at least, until I see it for myself...) :)

Hosei

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
NY, NY
Thanks for the photos. This definitely appears to be the most scratch resistant Apple Watch. I'm interested to see what happens when it's dented.

Apollonian

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
Went to remove the link on my SSSB today to put on a sport band to work out in and the link required so much force to get out of the watch that when it finally came out it doubled back and hit up against the outside of the watch and caused a hairline scratch. It looks to be, like some people have said, maybe a scratch in the coating over the DLC as it didn't seem to penetrate the DLC completely.

Kind of frustrating but what can you do I guess. If anyone has deny tips for removing these scratches let me know. The eraser trick definitely didn't work.

JuicyJones

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Went to remove the link on my SSSB today to put on a sport band to work out in and the link required so much force to get out of the watch that when it finally came out it doubled back and hit up against the outside of the watch and caused a hairline scratch. It looks to be, like some people have said, maybe a scratch in the coating over the DLC as it didn't seem to penetrate the DLC completely.

Kind of frustrating but what can you do I guess. If anyone has deny tips for removing these scratches let me know. The eraser trick definitely didn't work.
I'm still waiting for mine. July 7th supposedly. Why would they put a clear coding over DLC? Especially a coding that will cause scratches?! Makes no sense to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.