Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drew888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Question for those of you that have a Apple Watch Sport - Space Gray...

Does the case scratch easily? I currently have a Apple Watch (42mm SS with Black Leather Loop)

Stainless Steel scratches easily, but can also be polished out. It doesn't look like polishing is an option on the aluminum.

Thanks in advance!

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Depends on what you define as easily. Some say it's fine for daily use and others opted for the SS due to the harder material and easier scratch repair. But to each is own.

Sid6581

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2015
I have managed to scratch mine up a bit after a couple of weeks wearing it. Screen and case both. It's impossible not to. Personally, it doesn't bother me - especially since it's a first gen product and I expect I'll be replacing it relatively quickly. Wasn't going to spend the extra $$ on stainless this time around.

mixstar336

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2007
MN
Also had mine for a little over a month now and have no noticeable scuff/scratches. wear it and work out daily - hit it on a few walls and pillars while out on weekends and am pleasantly surprised.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Seems like QC is all over the place - we got normal wear with scuffs/scratches and then we got mountain climbers with no damage

Guess I'm must going to for myself next week and see if I'm going to switch back to the SS watch

aufmobi

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2008
No scratches or scuffs on my SG here after a month of use. I've banged it on doors and walls quite a bit too.

trooper1

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
Georgia
I have hit mine against walls and door jambs with no scratches! I have tried to be careful with my watch but accidents do happen. I am impressed with it so far.

rickko

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2015
There are some really nice third-party VERY thin watch frames available that look REAL nice. Some are made for abuse and others just for looks. I got one for looks. Gotta say, very nice! Excellent quality. Its like having two watches. Swapping out the cover/frame takes about 1/2 a second. Buy 2 or three covers in different colors then you can change 'em according to your mood or event you are going to attend. Search for 'Apple Watch Cases.'

It's Electric

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2011
Seems like QC is all over the place - we got normal wear with scuffs/scratches and then we got mountain climbers with no damage

It's more likely to be differences in user perception than QC. There's a lot of variation in how people define "normal use" vs. "rough use" and "looks fine" vs. "scratched a bit."

Reactions: thatappleguytoday

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Question for those of you that have a Apple Watch Sport - Space Gray...

Does the case scratch easily? I currently have a Apple Watch (42mm SS with Black Leather Loop)

Stainless Steel scratches easily, but can also be polished out. It doesn't look like polishing is an option on the aluminum.

Thanks in advance!

I have the Space Grey sport and I used it for close to a month. I haven't changed any of my daily routine or taken any extra precautions and have worn it from morning to night and done various "chores" and repairs around the house with it on and I don't have a scratch on the face or the frame. What has gotten scratched though is the little metal button that goes through the band holes. But I would say that it is very resilient.

Reactions: Drew888

Drew888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks all. I was worried that if it does scratch, would the scratch/ding/whatever be the space gray color, or the regular aluminum color.

Meaning, not sure if the space gray is a coating, or the actual aluminum alloy is space gray

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks all. I was worried that if it does scratch, would the scratch/ding/whatever be the space gray color, or the regular aluminum color.

Meaning, not sure if the space gray is a coating, or the actual aluminum alloy is space gray

The space gray color forms to the aluminum in the anodization process. The color isn't throughout the entire metal, but it's deep enough to avoid showing the natural aluminum color if moderately scratched.

Reactions: menace3 and Drew888

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
None here but I have been careful and conscious of where my arm is. As for those who have experienced scratching, I've found from reading these forums that it all depends what you hit the watch against. Walls and doors shouldn't do any damage as long as you hit the wood or sheetrock. If you hit metal, you might scratch it depending on the metal you hit. If you hit concrete, rock, or granite countertops, you are probably going to find a scratch or even a chip. So be careful regardless of the watch you choose, and get AppleCare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.