Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi folks,

Any 2016/2017 rMBP owners experiencing palm rest discolouration? I have the 15" rMBP 2.7 i7 with touch bar. I noticed today some faint discolouration on both sides of the palm rest where my wrist lies. Not scratches, more just a fade in the space grey colour which I am worried will get worse with time.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've owned many models or rMBP before this and never had an issue even after years of use. This one is about 9 months old and has been treated as well as all others I had before it. No other marks anywhere.

I also have an issue with the 'n' key which seems to double-type when pressed, but expect that's unrelated.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Have you given it a good clean? Grease tends to stick to the body, which makes it look faded especially with a darker colour. If you clean it with water then it won't remove the grease, so you need a 'good clean'.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Have you given it a good clean? Grease tends to stick to the body, which makes it look faded especially with a darker colour. If you clean it with water then it won't remove the grease, so you need a 'good clean'.

I've only ever cleaned it with a damp cloth. I'll give it something a little stronger, but don't think that's the issue. :)

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
So, several proper cleans later with a MacBook cleaning fluid and a very mild detergent - no change.

Never experienced anything like this with a MacBook before, even back to the PowerBool G4 era! So strange. Has no one else experienced this?

Reactions: buckwheet

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
So, several proper cleans later with a MacBook cleaning fluid and a very mild detergent - no change.

Never experienced anything like this with a MacBook before, even back to the PowerBool G4 era! So strange. Has no one else experienced this?

Try a slightly damp magic eraser. Cleans everything. I occasionally wipe down the keyboard with one, makes it feel new again.

81OrN78JhqL._SY355_.jpg

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Can you provide a picture? I have a 2017 space grey but no issues with discoloration.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Hi folks,

Any 2016/2017 rMBP owners experiencing palm rest discolouration? I have the 15" rMBP 2.7 i7 with touch bar. I noticed today some faint discolouration on both sides of the palm rest where my wrist lies. Not scratches, more just a fade in the space grey colour which I am worried will get worse with time.

No, but then again, I don't rest my palms on the surface while using laptops. I type with my palms raised.

Could be the sweat from your palms is causing the discoloration. If that's the case, nothing that can be done, sadly.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
No, but then again, I don't rest my palms on the surface while using laptops. I type with my palms raised.

Could be the sweat from your palms is causing the discoloration. If that's the case, nothing that can be done, sadly.

Agree with this. Your salty, sweaty palms will do the paint in pretty quickly. I also type with my palms mostly off the palm rests, and my two MBP Pros are completely fine in the paint department.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
4 months on Space Grey no discoloration whatsoever anywhere. Unlike on the old MBP's

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Has anyone ever used a palm/trackpad protector ? I purchased one but not sure I really need it. This is what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071JYB9WM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wouldn't use one personally. The computer will receive a certain level of even discolouration through normal use/UV light. Putting anything over that area will lead to a slight but noticeable change in colour when you remove it. Think moving the sofa a year after laying a new carpet. Use it for comfort but anything that fixes to the computer or adds thickness under the display is generally a recipe for disappointment.

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
I have fading on my 2016 Space Grey as well... Super disappointing. I do rest my wrists a certain amount of the time, but I don't really accept that as an excuse. The silver machines never did this (or at least my mid-2012 certainly didn't—even after 4 years!).

Reactions: Marinier

netpoint

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2018
I have purchase my macbook pro retina 3 mionths ago, I also faced this problem, this is truely strange cos I spent on this machine over 4 thousand dolars so this is very dissapointing. I never facet something like this on the Lenovo X series I am using since over 10 years as well. It seems macbook pro body is ultra cheap I am very dissapointed, it seems this equipment price is 90% advertising 10% quality of the end product .... moreover, after feirs few wweeks I had to replace two buttons because they stucked, Apple said I have to payover 700$ and replace whole body including keyboard ..... so I have purchased 2 keys mechanisms on ebay spent on it 20 $ and did that myself ..... In my opinion Apple sells absolutely rubbish equipment in a ridicolous price I will never buy next Macbook again (had 2 till now ....)
[doublepost=1529697077][/doublepost]Apple Macbook pro works best if you dont touch them ....

runqvist

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2018
I've got the same problem with my MacBook Pro 13" (late 2016) in space gray, and after 2 years of daily use there is a clear discoloration where my palms usually rest.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Has anyone ever used a palm/trackpad protector ? I purchased one but not sure I really need it. This is what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071JYB9WM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was using a 3M material on my 2016 palm area skin for 1 year 9 months (icarbons.com. Metal). I recently pulled it off a few weeks back because the very top right corner by the finger scanner had a discolor on the skin where the bottom of the screen would contact it when the lid was closed. No big deal but I could not get the marking to come clean so I just pulled it all off on the keyboard section. Still have the top and bottom.

The Palm area looks brand new like when I bought it after removing the skin. If it changes color down the road ill put another skin on it.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Unrelated, sort of, but how are you managing to type with your palms resting on the macBook? My hands float when I type, weird.

I tried to do it resting and it was hard.

Anyway, no surprise I don't have any discolouration...

cgpd7507

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2018
Try a slightly damp magic eraser. Cleans everything. I occasionally wipe down the keyboard with one, makes it feel new again.

View attachment 720520

Don’t ever use a Magic Eraser, it’s actually an abrasive product and will permanently damage the finish!!

“Melamine foam is the active component of a number of abrasive cleaner sponges. It is also used as the main sound and thermal insulation material for bullet trains, due to its high sound absorption, excellent thermal insulation performance and light weight”

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
I have purchase my macbook pro retina 3 mionths ago, I also faced this problem, this is truely strange cos I spent on this machine over 4 thousand dolars so this is very dissapointing. I never facet something like this on the Lenovo X series I am using since over 10 years as well. It seems macbook pro body is ultra cheap I am very dissapointed, it seems this equipment price is 90% advertising 10% quality of the end product .... moreover, after feirs few wweeks I had to replace two buttons because they stucked, Apple said I have to payover 700$ and replace whole body including keyboard ..... so I have purchased 2 keys mechanisms on ebay spent on it 20 $ and did that myself ..... In my opinion Apple sells absolutely rubbish equipment in a ridicolous price I will never buy next Macbook again (had 2 till now ....)
[doublepost=1529697077][/doublepost]Apple Macbook pro works best if you dont touch them ....

Are you for real?
I didn't read such a BS in a long time.

First of all, if you bought it 3 months ago, or even 3 years ago, the keyboard problem would still be covered by Apple for free.
I don't see any point in creating new account here just to lie and bash Apple.

Reactions: IngerMan and 88Keys

cgpd7507

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2018
If you want protection that’s ultra thin, look at Bestskinsever. I initially purchased it for just the bottom and was so impressed that I brought the full body version. Get the matte finish for an oem look.
IMG_1219.jpg
IMG_1220.jpg
IMG_1222.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.