Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hi all,

I recently purchased the iPad mini in space grey (always got silver with every Apple product, but went space grey on the mini as I don’t like the new starlight colour).

Anyway, been using it a few weeks and noticed yesterday in good lighting that right on the edge of the aluminium that meets the screens bezel you can see in various areas that there is no space grey coating and the silver is showing, these are very minor (too minor to take a photo), but just wondering if this is normal, you can’t really notice it when looking at the device head on but if you move it to an angle you can see it. On mine it’s more noticeable on the curved corners than alongside the flat edges.

Thanks

Reactions: Ram65

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Can you share pictures, please?
Usually, as I understand, the chassis aren’t coated, but the surface is treated with chemicals that change the aluminium oxide layer‘s color.
That’s why, when you see any Apple device from the inside, it has the same color as the outside.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Hi all,

I recently purchased the iPad mini in space grey (always got silver with every Apple product, but went space grey on the mini as I don’t like the new starlight colour).

Anyway, been using it a few weeks and noticed yesterday in good lighting that right on the edge of the aluminium that meets the screens bezel you can see in various areas that there is no space grey coating and the silver is showing, these are very minor (too minor to take a photo), but just wondering if this is normal, you can’t really notice it when looking at the device head on but if you move it to an angle you can see it. On mine it’s more noticeable on the curved corners than alongside the flat edges.

Thanks
Damn that wouldn’t of happen if you would’ve brought the Starlight or Purple version. Contact apple support

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Can you share pictures, please?
Usually, as I understand, the chassis aren’t coated, but the surface is treated with chemicals that change the aluminium oxide layer‘s color.
That’s why, when you see any Apple device from the inside, it has the same color as the outside.

Please see pic as I say it’s really hard to take a photo off as it is relatively minor (you may need to zoom in)… but just where the glass meets the aluminium there is silver as if it hasn’t been anodised… however it could possibly be adhesive residue possibly…

Attachments

• 99A9141C-B7E3-4769-8E8A-E539097B2E56.jpeg
    99A9141C-B7E3-4769-8E8A-E539097B2E56.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 125

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Damn that wouldn’t of happen if you would’ve brought the Starlight or Purple version. Contact apple support
Tell me about it exact reason I always go silver… such a shame apple released the mini 6 in starlight…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.