Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Space grey or silver?

• Total voters

CB98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Hello! I’m about to buy a 2018 15 inch MBP (2.6 i7, 16gb and 512gb SSD) and I’m just wondering - what colour is the best to go for in terms of longevity (not getting marked/scuffed) and in general which do you tend to prefer? It is my first MacBook, having moved over from Windows, and I’m struggling to decide. Thanks!

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
'Silver' is the raw aluminium, so there's no composite to be etched away. Scuffs will always show up, but just to a lesser degree (particularly around the I/O).

Having said this, the grey is a nice change and does look sleeker.

Reactions: Ma2k5

CB98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
'Silver' is the raw aluminium, so there's no composite to be etched away. Scuffs will always show up, but just to a lesser degree (particularly around the I/O).

That’s true...it’s a hard one to think about. I feel like nowadays space grey has become more popular. Do you think that will effect resale value (silver will sell for more in future?)

jasonhedgepeth

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX

Either is a great choice. My favorite is the Space Grey though - just a little sexier in my opinion.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I recall that when we discussed about color for the iPad, some users mentioned that scratches are more visible on Space Gray models than on Silver models. Does that apply to the MBP 2018 as well?

Interestingly, among all the videos on the MBP2018 I have seen so far, it looks like people only showed Space Gray models. What is the reason?
[doublepost=1531690318][/doublepost]Is Silver a better color for matching bright, colorful cases?

Reactions: jpn

CB98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
I recall that when we discussed about color for the iPad, some users mentioned that scratches are more visible on Space Gray models than on Silver models. Does that apply to the MBP 2018 as well?

Interestingly, among all the videos on the MBP2018 I have seen so far, it looks like people only showed Space Gray models. What is the reason?
[doublepost=1531690318][/doublepost]Is Silver a better color for matching bright, colorful cases?
Ive always thought silver to be the more ‘fun’ colour whilst space grey is more business-like/executive - so in answer to your question about cases, I’d say yes.

jasonhedgepeth

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX

Every device I've owned (iPad/iPhone) has been in Space Grey. I've never noticed scratches on any of them mainly because I cover them all up in cases. The new 2018 MacBookPro will be my first laptop in Space Grey. I'm looking forward to it!

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Ive always thought silver to be the more ‘fun’ colour whilst space grey is more business-like/executive - so in answer to your question about cases, I’d say yes.

I am going to get a pink case so silver is a better match.

Paapaa

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013

In my experience yes.

Because most users seem to prefer Space Gray.

Is Silver a better color for matching bright, colorful cases?

Totally subjective.

Reactions: haruhiko

Valdna

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2017

"New" and sexy color...

Silver hides the scratches/smudges/oils better.
Space Grey is nicer to use in dark rooms.
My perfect setup would be space grey keyboard and silver outer shell.. :D
Never happy with things that are readily available..

Reactions: jpn

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Personally I’d go for the silver, it matches my aesthetic better, but to each their own.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
I would choose sg if it could hold up to wear and tear better than silver, but apparently scratches on sg mbps are more noticeable than silver counterparts. I've seen photos of a year old sg mbps that look as just old as my 6 year old silver mbp. If they could perfect a manufacturing process that can withstand wear and tear around the ports and edges where the anodized coatings are the thinnest, I would choose sg. It's a shame b/c sg does look better but in the long run, silver seems to hold up much better to scratches.

Deep scratches on silver mbps reveal darker aluminium beneath so some people thought if the scratches on sg mbps also reveal dark aluminium, it could blend in w/ the sg colour but it wasn't the case when I looked at several sg models at a local apple store w/ my own eyes. The scratches are quite visible more so than the silver.

CB98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
"New" and sexy color...

Silver hides the scratches/smudges/oils better.
Space Grey is nicer to use in dark rooms.
My perfect setup would be space grey keyboard and silver outer shell.. :D
Never happy with things that are readily available..

Is it really the case that space grey is better in a dark room? I wouldn’t have thought it makes a huge difference to silver... does silver really reflect that much?

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Silver only space grey looks odd on macbooks to dark and keybaord doesn't pop out like silver, also it kinda looks dirty the sg i had it last year then toke it back and went silver and never looked back

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I prefer the darker colour. The keyboard isn't as distracting and the machine itself blends better for more focus on the screen.

It's entirely personal though, I don't think people's opinions will change your mind. Just get whichever one you prefer, you'll likely take care of either so they'll both be fine. No scratches on mine although it would show more visible than if I scratched the silver one - I don't plan on scratching it up however.

A lot of people went for the darker option as it was something different after 10 years of silver. By definition as it was only available 2016+ it was more modern and had a classier appearance. However the silver as it's been around longer is still a more classic appearance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.