Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jodysmith21

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
I love Spark. But I agree that it is getting bloated with AI and features that I don't want or need. I stayed with V2 because of the simple calendar integration and [lack of subscription costs] - plus the major reason I switched from Airmail a few years ago was the synced accounts across devices. I use 7 email accounts and having them synced on each device is great without having to add and re-add after software updates or device swaps.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
I love Spark. But I agree that it is getting bloated with AI and features that I don't want or need. I stayed with V2 because of the simple calendar integration and [lack of subscription costs] - plus the major reason I switched from Airmail a few years ago was the synced accounts across devices. I use 7 email accounts and having them synced on each device is great without having to add and re-add after software updates or device swaps.
I’m with you. The direction of Spark leaves me wanting, but I run the current version and am a paid subscriber. I don’t really like any of the paid email clients out there, but Spark is the best I’ve found.

I’m dreaming of a day when Flexibits releases a Fantastical for email. The market is seems crowded, but it’s mostly filled with buggy garbage that can’t even sync across devices.

Reactions: maxoakland

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Does this mean that if a person has bad grammar and spelling, the AI-composed email will contain bad grammar and spelling mistakes because it needs to mirror that person's style? No thanks.

Yep... AI won't make it better.

I have this colleague who is actually using te latest ChatGPT for some of the technical reports he's sending to those managers, clients with all signs of OCD. He lets the AI rewrites reports about incidents/errors to something very biblical, extremely long as if it came from a lawyer and/or in the same deliberately confusing corporate talk managers are trained to barf themselves. It is both hilarious and at the same time very sad that it works.

Last edited:

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
All this AI is going to create a lot of lazy, ignorant people, in my opinion. Even if I was hip to being lazy, I still wouldn't pay $60 a year for an email app.
I came to ask the cost…it’s $60 a year?

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
I see a lot of hate for Spark here, and I will agree that it has become bloated with AI/team email features.
But I have LOVED Spark ever since I switched to it. Having a cross-platform (Mac, PC, iOS) app that syncs all my mailboxes (I have a dozen) for FREE (their free plan has all the features I need) is not something any other mail app can do. My biggest frustration before Spark was re-authenticating OAuth accounts, or updating IMAP/SMTP passwords, and having to do that across all my devices. Spark makes it so easy!

MonkeySpank158

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2022
I switched to Spark when I started having issues with the default Mail App, and it works great. Then I got the email about the NEW version of Spark, so I downloaded it and gave it a try. NO THANK YOU. The old version was much better, and I am fine composing my own emails without AI support; that is not an area that I find AI to be useful at all. I promptly switched back to the older version which also doesn't group all of my emails together in a thread, that doesn't jive with how I like to separate and store my emails. And there was no option to use that method in the new version.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
How do we stop these companies adding "AI" features. I don't want you sending my data to third party servers as I type.
It’s a fad like when desperate but also lazy companies were adding all kinds of NFT and Crypto stuff. They do it because it gets them attention because it’s the “in” thing right now. A lot of it will be removed when users don’t actually use it

Want to make it happen faster? Switch to a different app if your starts adding it

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
The assisted generation. Can't do anything without being assisted by "AI".
Why bother learning how to write in English when AI can fix your grammar, vocab and spelling?
Why bother learning how to read beyond high school level when AI can just summarize like you are Michael Scott?
Why bother learning how to draw/paint/animate when AI can just generate **** that your average Joe seems to enjoy?
Why bother learning anything when AI can more or less do it?

We are all on a bullet train to idiocracy, current stop mediocracy.
Well, for those of us capable, it just makes us that much more valuable to society. We don't need no stinkin' computer. We can do it ourselves! lol

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
The assisted generation. Can't do anything without being assisted by "AI".
Why bother learning how to write in English when AI can fix your grammar, vocab and spelling?
Why bother learning how to read beyond high school level when AI can just summarize like you are Michael Scott?
Why bother learning how to draw/paint/animate when AI can just generate **** that your average Joe seems to enjoy?
Why bother learning anything when AI can more or less do it?

We are all on a bullet train to idiocracy, current stop mediocracy.

Honestly, the first train has already arrived there more than a decade ago and the passengers were: (professional) politicians, higher management of many large companies and greedy shareholders. An AI on those positions may well be doing a much better job and possibly beneficial for the rest of the world too. Except when it's modelled on Gordon Gekko.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
Trying Spark Desktop again; I still have a subscription. Airmail use was short-lived because of syncing issues. I think I can live with the larger footprint of Spark Desktop. I found a small app called OneMenu that shows me my memory usage, and I'm still in the green with everything open.

Most of the missing options have now been included in the current version of Spark Desktop. I just wish modern email clients didn't twist themselves into quietly forcing you to use Gmail because of their design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.