Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LakeZone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2016
Spatial Audio isn't working in Apple Music on me M1 MBA with AirPod Pros. The Spatial Audio option in control centre is greyed out and 'Not available' is displayed beneath it. However it is available when I use the Apple TV app.

I've tried re-pairing my pros. Still no luck. Anyone have a fix?

Thanks.

• Angry
Reactions: Rastapopoulos

davemack

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2004
Yep - same issue here with both AirPods Pro and AirPods Max on the 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max. Works fine on iPhone and iPad - just not of the MacBook.

thi-dias

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
Did you solve the problem, guys?

I'm using an MBP 13 M1 (2021) and facing the same problem here. When I play a Dolby Atmos song on Apple Music, it still plays stereo on my AirPods Pro. Then the Spatial Audio button on the audio menu is disabled (greyed) and shows "Not Available" ?

1635379871694.png

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Same issue here, it works on other apps but not on Apple Music. I sent a report to apple using the feedback assistant, lets see if It gets fixed on the next release.

Reactions: Phima256

thi-dias

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
Same issue here, it works on other apps but not on Apple Music. I sent a report to apple using the feedback assistant, lets see if It gets fixed on the next release.
Mine works on Netflix using Safari, but the only available option is Spatialize Audio which is a simulation of Spatial Audio for Stereo audio content.

Several Netflix contents contain 5.1 or Dolby Atmos audio, enabling the real Spatial Audio option in Mac - which is not happening, but just the Spatialize Audio for Stereo sound on Netflix browser playing.

If someone fixes this, please, don't forget to share the solution. ?

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Mine works on Netflix using Safari, but the only available option is Spatialize Audio which is a simulation of Spatial Audio for Stereo audio content.

Several Netflix contents contain 5.1 or Dolby Atmos audio, enabling the real Spatial Audio option in Mac - which is not happening, but just the Spatialize Audio for Stereo sound on Netflix browser playing.

If someone fixes this, please, don't forget to share the solution. ?
Maybe Netflix doesn't output multichannel audio on Safari. Have you tried on HBO Max app?

jakeenzo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Yep same here. Ffs Apple! The one feature of Monterey I really want to use and it's broken ?

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
Same here. It works in all other apps though. Just not music. Works fine on iPhone. I submitted a report via Feedback Assistant.

Last edited:

Soufianej

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2021
The temporary solution to this is to download the tracks you want to listen to in Dolby atmos (make sure you go over to settings and enable download Dolby atmos) once downloaded the tracks will trigger spatial audio on your airpods.

Reactions: Philly-GUI-Dude

Philly-GUI-Dude

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
The temporary solution to this is to download the tracks you want to listen to in Dolby atmos (make sure you go over to settings and enable download Dolby atmos) once downloaded the tracks will trigger spatial audio on your airpods.
I just read these posts, and your solutions seems to be the only way to listen to Spacial Audio on my new MacBook Pro M1 Max. I first thought this was a firmware issue with my AirPods pros, but I tested this on my iPhone, and it worked fine.

Hope they solve this, I don't want to always download everything I listen to.

Reactions: curdy

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
Fyi apple FINALLY fixed this in 12.3 coming out next week. I’m running it now, and in the RC apple explicitly states head tracked spatial audio with Airpods on M1 (and pro/max/ultra) chips in Apple Music is enabled by the update.

I’ve tested it and it does work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.