Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
I want to get ready for the pre-order but I am not sure which storage option to go for and would appreciate the help.

Usually I go 256 Pro Max, my 14 Pro Max has 120 GB left. The feature I plan to use the most is Spatial Video and there is nothing about how much storage it may use per minute of video. Should I expect 880 MB per minute on 60 FPS assuming it does 2x 4K?

I don’t want to go 512 GB if I don’t need to. I pay for iCloud and prefer to offload everything to it.

Reactions: infinitejest

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
We don’t know how heavy spatial videos will be on storage, but except if you plan to film many long videos at once, i think 256GB is enough, and store everything on iCloud once you have a good internet signal. You can also connect an external drive to the iphone and save videos directly in it

If you want to be safe, take the 512 GB oprion

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I was thinking of posting the same question. Between the fact that you can connect a drive and your iCloud usage, I don’t think it is a big decision. If you were in the field without access to iCloud and using a drive would be a hassle, I would say upgrade the storage.

I’m also planning on taking a lot of spacial photos and videos — not sure what my needs will be, but 256gb seems like a safe bet. If this proves to be inadequate, I will remember for next year.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
I was thinking of posting the same question. Between the fact that you can connect a drive and your iCloud usage, I don’t think it is a big decision. If you were in the field without access to iCloud and using a drive would be a hassle, I would say upgrade the storage.

I’m also planning on taking a lot of spacial photos and videos — not sure what my needs will be, but 256gb seems like a safe bet. If this proves to be inadequate, I will remember for next year.
Yea, I decided to setup a pre-order for a 256 GB. I think it should be enough. Even if it takes 880 MB per minute, that should still be around 100 minutes based on my current free space which is way longer than any video I would ever take.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
You guys still OK with 256gb? I was thinking of 512 but have 100gb free so will probably stick with 256.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.