Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lorductape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
t3h usa
is there a way to keep your built in output speakers on while there is something connected to the audio line out? I have a second monitor hooked up that has built in speakers that I would like to be getting audio through as well as audio from my mac.

also, my mighty mouse has lost it's ability to right click. advice? i checked sysprefs, and it's enabled, and I tried changing it to do other things such as lauch dashboard, but nothing doing. it's just not working.

please help, I don't want to go back to control-click....

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
1. You might need a connector to perform that but can I ask why? Having two seperate speakers running at the same time will not boost the quailty...it might even get confusing to understand.

2. Try repairing permissions in disk utility before you take any other step when dealing with the mouse.

Bless

lorductape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
t3h usa
1. I would like the audio to be coming from both directions, currently it's odd looking at one monitor and having the noise coming from several feet to the left (the monitors are not directly next to each other)

2. I tried it, nothing happened. could it have anything to do with the fact that I have a usb hub hooked up? the mouse is not connected to it, however.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I guess it's technically possible that the hub is draining too much USB power from the USB output bus of the Mac. If the hub is powered, try plugging the mouse into the hub. Either way, also try unplugging all USB devices and then just putting the mouse and kb back in and seeing if anything changes.

As far as dual audio output...hmmm... I don't have external speakers to try at the mo', which limits me (mmm, maybe there are some downstairs...je suis chez parents), but have you tried seeing what you can configure in the output part (lower right) of the Audio Midi Setup utility in the utilities folder? This is the place (oddly... I don't understand why this isn't a preference pane) to go to set up advanced audio features. E.G. if you have 5.1 USB speakers, etc, etc, you do it here.

It's *technically* feasible -- apps like Garageband are designed to be able to yes/no output the same audio to multiple outputs (in Garageband, you can set it up so that some tracks are heard only on monitors, and some tracks are heard on the speakers, etc, etc).

lorductape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
t3h usa
Mmm, okay.... but did you try what I suggested? What happened?

And your profile says you have a 17" C2D Mac. But is it an iMac or a MBP?

haven't tried what you suggested yet, but it's an iMac... iWish it was a MBP, but there you are.

lorductape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
t3h usa
lol no it didnt work, but thanks for your help

and I was just too darn lazy to try the first time...

seriously you should be a moderator.... this isn't the first time you've helped me... macrumors people pay attention! this kid is good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.