Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wncmacs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I have a 13 inch 2020 M1 MacBook Pro that I have been using a 20 year-old set of Harman Kardon Soundsticks (USB-connected) with that have been working wonderfully. However, age has finally caught up to the speakers and the rubber membranes surrounding the speakers mounted in the 2 satellite speaker enclosures have deteriorated and I think the system is having some issues with the amplifier as I am having to turn the balance a good deal to the right to get decent stereo sound. The system needs to be either repaired or replaced. I am looking for suggestions on computer speakers that would adequately replace the Soundsticks and their subwoofer floor speaker or for parts that I might could use to repair the speakers I have. I don’t have a lot of money, so I am looking for the most bang for the buck. I do some prosumer video editing and I enjoy listening to music, podcasts, and videos playing from the Mac. Bluetooth connectivity might be if interest to me since I have an iPhone I could connect to the speakers. I have watched YouTube videos on how to replace the worn-out speakers but it is a bit difficult to praise them open, and I have read that I need to swap out a couple of capacitors in the subwoofer amp to fix the stereo image issue. Is it worth it to try and repair them or should I just go ahead and get something new?

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
These are among the worst speakers ever built, so... look at the M-Audio BX8 D3. If these are too expensive, the cheapest in the line are BX3 starting at 99, and they come in a version with bluetooth too, BX3BT.

There are a couple different brands that have such speakers, this is just one example.

wncmacs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
These are among the worst speakers ever built, so... look at the M-Audio BX8 D3. If these are too expensive, the cheapest in the line are BX3 starting at 99, and they come in a version with bluetooth too, BX3BT.

There are a couple different brands that have such speakers, this is just one example.
Alesis Elevate 5 MKII speakers have been suggested as a good choice. They don’t have Bluetooth but have good reviews for what they are. Do you have any thoughts on Slesis products and this particular model?

Last edited:

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
I think it would be very hard, if not impossible, to get anything that sounds as accurate and as high quality as the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 at the $149 price point.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
I think it would be very hard, if not impossible, to get anything that sounds as accurate and as high quality
That's a run-of-the-mill 2.1 system from a solid brand name, as such it will sound decent of course, but at this price point it is really not possible to buy a subwoofer. A good entry-level sub on its own is around 250-300. Unless Klipsch wants to lose money there won't be anything accurate or high quality about them. The sub will likely get overwhelmed at any higher volumes and won't be a real sub to begin with, that is to say it won't cover the entire lower bass range, it will cut out somewhere between 40Hz and 50Hz.

That's not to say the Klipsch are bad, I am sure for the price they will beat the usual junk from logitech and others, you can see that with the size of the 2 speakers already, they are fairly large, usually the satellites are tiny making it physically impossible to sound good. And these can be solid choices for gaming or movies at regular volume.

A solid 2.0 system will lack frequencies below 60Hz where the lower bass starts, but it allows for later expansion with a sub. A cheap 2.1 system won't sound too good overall and the only way to improve that is to replace the entire system. So cheap 2.1 is a dead end, whereas for the same money you can get decent stereo sound and improve it with a sub later if necessary.

Alesia Elevate 5 MKII speakers have been suggested as a good choice.
They are from the same type and I am sure they're fine too. Here is an overview of these types of speakers, you can sort by pricing, but look at the product picture, some are sold in pairs and some per individual speaker: https://www.thomannmusic.com/active_nearfield_monitors.html Perhaps you can find a place in your area where you can listen in, usually they'll be selling audio studio equipment. Make sure you bring a USB-C to headphone jack adapter if your phone doesn't have the port, so you can try your music. These speakers will all sound different, and it depends on what you prefer, there isn't a clear winner.

Some of them have a static noise when not playing anything, due to their electronic design. Close up sitting at a desk that can be annoying. That is another reason why I'd pick them out in person.

They don’t have Bluetooth but have good reviews for what they are.
If they don't have bluetooth they will probably sound a bit better for the money. If you want bluetooth, you typically have to pay extra for it. At your price point you'll want to concentrate on the most essential feature, the sound quality.

wncmacs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Does anyone on here think it would be worth the effort to repair the Soundsticks I have or should I just let them go?

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
They are pretty much bottom of the barrel, to say the least. Letting them go would be the kind thing to do, for your ears.

wncmacs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
So I ended up purchasing a pair of Edifier R1700BTs speakers and I am pleased overall with their sound (and the price for them was very good). They obviously don't have a tremendous amount of bass, but they do have an input for a subwoofer. So I don't have a tremendous amount of money, but is there a good budget subwoofer someone would recommend to go with these speakers that would improve their bass sound?

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
So I ended up purchasing a pair of Edifier R1700BTs speakers and I am pleased overall with their sound (and the price for them was very good). They obviously don't have a tremendous amount of bass, but they do have an input for a subwoofer. So I don't have a tremendous amount of money, but is there a good budget subwoofer someone would recommend to go with these speakers that would improve their bass sound?
How about the Edifier T5?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

If you want more base do DIY subwoofer to your setup to a 2.1 system!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.