Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolerkid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
Looking for 2.0 powered speaker suggestions for my Mac Mini. Ideally something relatively compact that also will look good alongside my Mini and Apple studio display. Looking to spend under $300, unless there's a reason to spend more. I've already tried Audioengine, B&W MM-1, Bose Companion 2 Series, and a few others in this class and wasn't crazy about them. The clarity on the Audioengine was superb, but I didn't like the flat sound and lack of bass. I know it's hard to get a lot of bass with compact, 2.0 speakers, but I have definitely heard some before. My previous speakers were the Edifier e25 and they deliver great sound and bass in a pretty compact and stylish design but they broke and I want to try something different now. Thanks

coolerkid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
How about Apple's Homepod Mini? We recently got some of those and are very impressed with the sound.
I was thinking of those actually. I heard they don't do system sounds though right? Not a huge deal, but overall do they stay paired and integrate well as desktop speakers? I also hear there's a bit of a lag? Thanks

Last edited:

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
OP: Have you tried Kanto YU2? I like them but I will say that they lacked bass so I added the six inch sub and now they are terrific.

coolerkid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
OP: Have you tried Kanto YU2? I like them but I will say that they lacked bass so I added the six inch sub and now they are terrific.
Yes, I was looking at those first but all the reviews say they have practically no bass and I don't want a sub so I ruled those out. I imagine they are the same sound as the Audioengine A2, which I owned and didn't like for that reason.

Reactions: tstafford

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
I paid $339 for a pair of Emotiva Airmotive 5S active desktop speakers years ago that sound great with enough bass I don't use a subwoofer but they seem to have been discontinued. Emotiva has new models but I think they are all passive.

Monoprice Monolith, Edifier S350DB, and you mentioned you didn't like Audioengine HD6. All should have less and more expensive models and subwoofer options.

Last edited:

Agile55

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
TX
How about Apple's Homepod Mini? We recently got some of those and are very impressed with the sound.
Went w/ Mini's after this rec. they arrive Fri. & looking forward to seeing how thy integrate/sound with my '21 iMac.

TorbenIbsen

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2021
I was thinking of those actually. I heard they don't do system sounds though right? Not a huge deal, but overall do they stay paired and integrate well as desktop speakers? I also hear there's a bit of a lag? Thanks
I cam't actually answer about this. We use them as Stereo speakers connnected to our Apple TV 4K box. There is no lag there but perhaps things are different when connected to a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.