Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flalaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
United States
I'm having this really weird static issue. I've got my MBP connected to a TV via HDMI. I've als got my MBP connected to speakers via the headphone jack. Whenever the HDMI cable is plugged in though, I get static out of my speakers, which goes away when i unplug the HDMI. Any guesses what the problem might be?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It's almost certainly a grounding problem. Is the Mac connected to speakers that are physically part of the TV, or to speakers that are separate? The most likely culprit is that your Mac's case is causing cross-interference via ground between the video and audio signals.... But beyond jury-rig types of solutions, I'm not sure what to do.

flalaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
United States
yea, they're external speakers that are giving me the static. even playing thru tv speakers is okay for me. unless i'm mistaken, hdmi should transfer audio too though, but no audio comes outta my tv speakers. is there any setting that i need to fiddle w/ on my MBP?

stillwater

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2004
Rowley, MA
yea, they're external speakers that are giving me the static. even playing thru tv speakers is okay for me. unless i'm mistaken, hdmi should transfer audio too though, but no audio comes outta my tv speakers. is there any setting that i need to fiddle w/ on my MBP?

I'm assuming you're using a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter. DVI is video only. You must still send the audio seperately to the TV.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have seen this problem when redirecting digital audio from a HDTV to an external amplified speaker. The cure is to select CD as the sound source.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.