Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13392/the-iphone-xs-xs-max-review-unveiling-the-silicon-secrets/4

SPECint.png

The performance measurement was run in a synthetic environment (read: bench fan cooling the phones) where we assured thermals wouldn’t be an issue for the 1-2 hours it takes to complete a full suite run.

---

Overall the new A12 Vortex cores and the architectural improvements on the SoC’s memory subsystem give Apple’s new piece of silicon a much higher performance advantage than Apple’s marketing materials promote. The contrast to the best Android SoCs have to offer is extremely stark – both in terms of performance as well as in power efficiency. Apple’s SoCs have better energy efficiency than all recent Android SoCs while having a nearly 2x performance advantage. I wouldn’t be surprised that if we were to normalise for energy used, Apple would have a 3x performance efficiency lead.

This also gives us a great piece of context for Samsung’s M3 core, which was released this year: the argument that higher power consumption brings higher performance only makes sense when the total energy is kept within check. Here the Exynos 9810 uses twice the energy over last year’s A11 – at a 55% performance deficit.

Meanwhile Arm’s Cortex A76 is scheduled to arrive inside the Kirin 980 as part of the Huawei Mate 20 in just a couple of weeks – and I’ll be making sure we’re giving the new flagship a proper examination and placing among current SoCs in our performance and efficiency graph.

What is quite astonishing, is just how close Apple’s A11 and A12 are to current desktop CPUs. I haven’t had the opportunity to run things in a more comparable manner, but taking our server editor, Johan De Gelas’ recent figures from earlier this summer, we see that the A12 outperforms a Skylake CPU. Of course there’s compiler considerations and various frequency concerns to take into account, but still we’re now talking about very small margins until Apple’s mobile SoCs outperform the fastest desktop CPUs in terms of ST performance. It will be interesting to get more accurate figures on this topic later on in the coming months.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Most impressive was: "This also gives us a great piece of context for Samsung’s M3 core, which was released this year: the argument that higher power consumption brings higher performance only makes sense when the total energy is kept within check. Here the Exynos 9810 uses twice the energy over last year’s A11 – at a 55% performance deficit."

I know there are extreme limitations with emulating x86 architecture on ARM or recompiling macOS/Windows to run on ARM, but there absolutely has to be a point they'll be putting these chips in their computers. There were old rumours about Windows running pretty OK on ARM: https://www.techspot.com/review/1599-windows-on-arm-performance/page2.html

However the above benchmarks were made on a Snapdragon 835, which have atrocious single-core performance compared to the A-series CPUs, so it's not reflective of the full potential.

I'm almost certain Microsoft are developing a full-bodied version of Windows to run on ARM, be it emulated x86 code or native, and Apple are definitely working on the same for macOS. More than likely it will be native ARM for any App Store applications - the rest might have to run on some Frankenstein-Rosetta in the interim.

I have no doubt that if Windows release an ARM OS, Apple will reveal they've been doing the same with macOS and release Macs with ARM CPUs. You never know; maybe both Microsoft and Apple have been working on this together and they're waiting to both take the plunge at the same time.

One thing's for certain though: if Microsoft are seriously considering a decent experience with an ARM CPU, they simply can't ignore the performance in the A-series chips. We might even see Surface Pros with Apple CPUs* in the future - imagine that!

It's all speculation of course, but it's fun to think about.

*if this happens, I called it first

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm almost certain Microsoft are developing a full-bodied version of Windows to run on ARM, be it emulated x86 code or native, and Apple are definitely working on the same for macOS. More than likely it will be native ARM for any App Store applications - the rest might have to run on some Frankenstein-Rosetta in the interim.

I'm guessing it's coming as it's already on Snapdragon.

The last time I looked you could run your x86 binaries provided the windows program adhered to the old win32 specification. Basically running in a message loop.

YMMV will vary as to performance as there seems to be some emulation going on and windows programs that are outside of the win32 specification, probably won't run.

Windows everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.