Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itschris93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
So, I'm still rockin' this old mid-2012 MBP 15" which I've upgraded over the years and is currently housing a
2,3 GHz Intel Core i7, 10gb RAM and a 250gb SSD / 500gb HDD. It still holds up fine but it's bulky, non-retina and todays MBP's might be a lot faster so I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer MBP.

The thing is I'm using it mainly for two tasks, besides regular browsing of course. One of the things I do is electronic music production (using Ableton) and the other is graphic designing (Adobe Suite & Sketch). So yeah, I need something that will deliver me enough power to handle these tasks. Besides that I'm also traveling a lot, so a smaller MBP makes sense.

I was thinking about two options to go with:

2017 Macbook Pro 13" nTB
- 2,5GHz dual core i7
- 16gb ram
- 512gb SSD
Total costs: € 2.599

2017 Macbook Pro 13" TB
- 3,1GHz dual core i5
- 16gb ram
- 512gb SSD
Total costs: € 2.489

So yeah, my budget will be around € 2.500 since I'm just a student. Also the Touchbar seems nice, but it's not something I really need.

Anyway, could you guys give me some advice on what to go for?

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
So, I'm still rockin' this old mid-2012 MBP 15" which I've upgraded over the years and is currently housing a
2,3 GHz Intel Core i7, 10gb RAM and a 250gb SSD / 500gb HDD. It still holds up fine but it's bulky, non-retina and todays MBP's might be a lot faster so I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer MBP.

The thing is I'm using it mainly for two tasks, besides regular browsing of course. One of the things I do is electronic music production (using Ableton) and the other is graphic designing (Adobe Suite & Sketch). So yeah, I need something that will deliver me enough power to handle these tasks. Besides that I'm also traveling a lot, so a smaller MBP makes sense.

I was thinking about two options to go with:

2017 Macbook Pro 13" nTB
- 2,5GHz dual core i7
- 16gb ram
- 512gb SSD
Total costs: € 2.599

2017 Macbook Pro 13" TB
- 3,1GHz dual core i5
- 16gb ram
- 512gb SSD
Total costs: € 2.489

So yeah, my budget will be around € 2.500 since I'm just a student. Also the Touchbar seems nice, but it's not something I really need.

Anyway, could you guys give me some advice on what to go for?

If your budget allows both, go with the TB model. The nTB is a steal at the base level, but as you see when you add specs the price jumps. Comparing the prices you posted, the better machine is actually cheaper. The nTB runs a lower power chip, so that i7 won’t be as fast as the TB i5. Really very misleading.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Tb model definitely it has better cooling, far better sustained performance, more ports (music production always needs ports), a touch bar could be a massive bonus to your work flow (check out better touch tool app, and touchbar specific controls for ableton and adobe).

You will lose out on battery life that’s about it.

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
Get 2.3ghz nTB base model, save money, no CPU upgrade need.

Unless play 3D game or something run GPU/CPU together fully,
the nTB is very silent for running desktop software Ableton and Adobe Suite.

Reactions: c0ppo and Naimfan

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Yeah, but when I upgrade the CPU of the nTB version to match the specs of the TB version, I'm paying almost €100 more than the TB version.

The CPU bump isn't worth, you can measure the difference in Geekbench, but it won't be noticeable in usage. Base 13" will do fine. If you need more CPU power or RAM, go for the 15" base.

Reactions: Naimfan

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
The CPU bump isn't worth, you can measure the difference in Geekbench, but it won't be noticeable in usage. Base 13" will do fine. If you need more CPU power or RAM, go for the 15" base.

This.

You will never identify any difference in speed between the two. And if you need more CPU or RAM, it makes zero sense to upgrade a 13" - as doitdata correctly states, go for the 15" base.

nbjunior

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017
This.

You will never identify any difference in speed between the two. And if you need more CPU or RAM, it makes zero sense to upgrade a 13" - as doitdata correctly states, go for the 15" base.

For CPU ok, its not difference, but why is not worth RAM upgrades in 13” model? Tks

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
For CPU ok, its not difference, but why is not worth RAM upgrades in 13” model? Tks

Cost. A 15" come with 16 GB RAM standard, quad-core CPU, and discrete graphics. And with some of the pricing on the 15" models, it makes no sense to upgrade a 13".

itschris93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
I can see, but the price for a base model 15” will be a little over €3000 in comparison with the 13” TB with 16gb which will only cost around €2500. Is that CPU that much of a difference?

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
For more professional usage such as music and graphic editing,
upgrade path is the "RAM" > "SSD" > CPU.
The RAM is highly recommended upgrade to 16GB for smooth running of those large software,
and next recommended is upgrade to 512GB as 256GB is very easy full up (should maintenance at least 1/4 space for SSD health and speed ).

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2017
I can see, but the price for a base model 15” will be a little over €3000 in comparison with the 13” TB with 16gb which will only cost around €2500. Is that CPU that much of a difference?

The CPU between 15 and 13? 15 has 4 cores instead of 2, bigger screen and res, dedicated gpu. It's a better deal in terms of performance-value. But the reason people get 13 is form factor and portability. You need to see for yourself what you like more. The new 15' should be much lighter and smaller than previous 15', but I didn't test it. You could also wait for 2018 refresh that should have 4 cores on 13' and 6 (?) on 15'.

As for difference between CPU in 13 tb and ntb. The CPU performance should be similar. But if you are going to plug in a 4k monito, which will load the gpu, and perform cpu-heavy task, I bet ntb will be much louder because of the inferior cooling, and cpu might not work at full speed due to throttle.

The only advantage ntb has over tb is normal keys (for those that don't like tb) and maybe better battery life, especially in light tasks (because of bigger battery and lower base cpu clock?).

Maybe wait for 2018 if upgrade is not urgent? Such core bumps don't happen often.

itschris93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
The CPU between 15 and 13? 15 has 4 cores instead of 2, bigger screen and res, dedicated gpu. It's a better deal in terms of performance-value. But the reason people get 13 is form factor and portability. You need to see for yourself what you like more. The new 15' should be much lighter and smaller than previous 15', but I didn't test it. You could also wait for 2018 refresh that should have 4 cores on 13' and 6 (?) on 15'.

As for difference between CPU in 13 tb and ntb. The CPU performance should be similar. But if you are going to plug in a 4k monito, which will load the gpu, and perform cpu-heavy task, I bet ntb will be much louder because of the inferior cooling, and cpu might not work at full speed due to throttle.

The only advantage ntb has over tb is normal keys (for those that don't like tb) and maybe better battery life, especially in light tasks (because of bigger battery and lower base cpu clock?).

Maybe wait for 2018 if upgrade is not urgent? Such core bumps don't happen often.

At the moment I'm still saving up for one so yeah I could wait out a bit longer. I was planning to buy one beginning of 2018. Don't know when the 2018 models will come.. april?

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
At the moment I'm still saving up for one so yeah I could wait out a bit longer. I was planning to buy one beginning of 2018. Don't know when the 2018 models will come.. april?

It will always take a little while from announcement to availability, WWDC is in the summer, so you should think Fall 2018.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Of those two options, I would personally favor the touchbar for the better processor, additional fan/better cooling, and significantly superior IO (this is hugely convenient if you plan to use external displays + any data devices at the same time). However, if you are not in a hurry (and since you have a solid machine), waiting to see if Apple does release a quad core 13-inch may be worthwhile in your case, given your usage.

Reactions: doitdada
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.