Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garrison32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
What would (or what do you) use to add special effects like gun flashes or lightsaber stuff in a video?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Ya ok, good luck finding that program anywhere useful, oh wait you download it, silly me.

anyway, use Adobe After Effects, basically the de-facto standard of "effects" and layering.

yes there are others that do the job better, worse, easier, harder, cheaper or more professionally.

but you wont find any program that has MORE resources available online for doing the kind of things you seem to want to do.

After Effects is the SHIZZLE, and youll love it.

The FXHome program looks awesome, but is kinda limited.

Garrison32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Sdashiki said:
Ya ok, good luck finding that program anywhere useful, oh wait you download it, silly me.

anyway, use Adobe After Effects, basically the de-facto standard of "effects" and layering.

yes there are others that do the job better, worse, easier, harder, cheaper or more professionally.

but you wont find any program that has MORE resources available online for doing the kind of things you seem to want to do.

After Effects is the SHIZZLE, and youll love it.

The FXHome program looks awesome, but is kinda limited.

I'm not looking to do composites or keying just yet. I am trying to start to mess around with special effects, and I am illiterate when it comes to this so maybe I can't add these muzzle flashes, and sabers without compositing and keying? But even if I needed to composite and key, does Adobe Effects have the ability to do those things? I don't think it states that and the price is more than I was thinking of spending. The FX is less expensive.

Again, I'm a newbie. All I've done so far is a streetbike and paintball video, but man oh man am I dreaming of better things!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Garrison32 said:
I'm not looking to do composites or keying just yet. I am trying to start to mess around with special effects, and I am illiterate when it comes to this so maybe I can't add these muzzle flashes, and sabers without compositing and keying? But even if I needed to composite and key, does Adobe Effects have the ability to do those things? I don't think it states that and the price is more than I was thinking of spending. The FX is less expensive.

Again, I'm a newbie. All I've done so far is a streetbike and paintball video, but man oh man am I dreaming of better things!

Compositing and keying is what After Effects is for. If you google something like "light saber effect" or "muzzle flash effect" you'll find a number of inexpensive, do-it-yourself guides.

Lethal

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
LethalWolfe said:
Compositing and keying is what After Effects is for. If you google something like "light saber effect" or "muzzle flash effect" you'll find a number of inexpensive, do-it-yourself guides.

Lethal

yeah its been done to death by plenty of Nerds across the internet.

Find someone you know, you must, who has After Effects and give it a try, its a good one to learn and does many many things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.