Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Anyone use B&H for a special order? Their estimate says 7-14 days and they charge the card at the time the order is placed and it's not possible to cancel the order if it ends up taking longer than the estimate. On the vendor website, I see the wait for custom build is months out. Is it possible B&H has access to faster build-to-order because they only offer limited SKUs?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I’ve done a special order on a printer through B&H. This was a ways into COVID. The wait time was six weeks. In reality, six months in. It still listed as not ready. Eventually I just canceled the order.

So, unless B&H gets priority on orders from your PC vendor. Your real wait time will be the same as if you ordered direct.

Reactions: ghanwani

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I’ve done a special order on a printer through B&H. This was a ways into COVID. The wait time was six weeks. In reality, six months in. It still listed as not ready. Eventually I just canceled the order.

So, unless B&H gets priority on orders from your PC vendor. Your real wait time will be the same as if you ordered direct.
So they allowed you to cancel? They told me I can’t cancel once the order is placed which is why I’m hesitating. Because then it feels like I would be stuck for however long it takes and then go through the return process (no penalty for returning an unopened item but still a pain to have funds stuck with them).

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
So they allowed you to cancel? They told me I can’t cancel once the order is placed which is why I’m hesitating. Because then it feels like I would be stuck for however long it takes and then go through the return process (no penalty for returning an unopened item but still a pain to have funds stuck with them).
Come to think of it. It was backordered, not special ordered. It was a printer they normally stocked and expecting in. I just backordered it. So, that may have made a difference.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
B&H WILL NOT ALLOW RETURNS, if you even touch the plastic wrap the product comes in.
Amazing company, will deliver exactly what you order, often at a discount, but they're return policy is air tight and strict. I've used them to get rare custom mac configurations in the past after the product has been discontinued. Completely trustworthy, the return policy is awful however. The computer will be exactly as described, you wont be able to return it however upon opening for any reason other than its not the promised product.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Completely trustworthy, the return policy is awful however. The computer will be exactly as described, you wont be able to return it however upon opening for any reason other than its not the promised product.
While agree, that in this day and age, that policy isn't very consumer friendly, the policy is publicly posted.

I've had really great experiences with B&H (mostly photographic equipment.) so I would recommend them but you definitely need to go into the purchase process completely aware of your rights

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
The specific machine I was interested in was the Dragonfly G3 but one doing some more reading it looks like the Dragonfly G4 has been announced which has the newer 13th gen Intel processors so I think it makes sense to wait until those are available, hopefully not too far away. These machines are unique with 3:2 aspect ratio with available matte screen and 2.2 lb weight, but they are quite pricey, even more expensive than 14 M2 MBP when configured with matte screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.