Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Hi,

Well, I'm still trying to decide if I want to eBay my 17" MBP and get a refurb rev.C MBA. I am wondering if the following programs work flawlessly on the Air, as they are the main ones I use. Mainly I am concerned with stuttering and audio sync problems. Heck, even my 2.8 MBP seems to work hard when using some of these programs:

Slingplayer
Hulu Desktop
Plex
Netfilx streaming

(Firefox w/~10 tabs open while doing many of the above)

I'm certain the Air will run the above programs fine, but will it run them smoothly? The last thing I want is constant stutter/sync/pixelating issues that are oh so irritating.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Hi,

Well, I'm still trying to decide if I want to eBay my 17" MBP and get a refurb rev.C MBA. I am wondering if the following programs work flawlessly on the Air, as they are the main ones I use. Mainly I am concerned with stuttering and audio sync problems. Heck, even my 2.8 MBP seems to work hard when using some of these programs:

Slingplayer
Hulu Desktop
Plex
Netfilx streaming

(Firefox w/~10 tabs open while doing many of the above)

I'm certain the Air will run the above programs fine, but will it run them smoothly? The last thing I want is constant stutter/sync/pixelating issues that are oh so irritating.

let me try them out, ill let you know how it goes.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I have run all but Sling on my rev C 2.13/SSD. Just make sure you get SSD and rev B/C. Also, my fans NEVER spin up on my rev C while my B did on occassion after intensive video demands.

I highly recommend any rev B/C with SSD. I highly recommend you stay away from rev A or any HDD model. The Nvidia 9400m and SSD make the MBA amazing and very capable. And now that the MBA can be had for $1549 refurbished EVERYONE can afford to give it a try.

Cheers and good luck.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Thanks. One final question...I'm shooting for this to be a keeper for ~ 3 yrs.

Will the MBP suffice? I know the 17" monstrosity I have now will...but I'm just not sure I can live with it for 3+ yrs.

Suffice as in will be be painful to use after a year or so? I really hope to end my "upgraditis" by getting a machine that I love and is portable for 3+ yrs of use. This waffling is expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.