Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gengar003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Hello.

I have one of the Black macbooks (Intel Core Duo) running 10.4/Tiger.

I have the SoyLatte Java JDK 1.6 port downloaded and functional - if I go to the directory in terminal, and execute the Java compiler and virtual machine, they work.

However, nothing else in the OS seems to be aware of this JDK existing, and as such I can't use it or access it anywhere other than the command line.

How can I tell my Tiger that a new JDK/JVM exists, and to use it as the default?

Things I have tried, that didn't work:

1. Adding the 1.6 JDK to the $PATH variable in my .bash_profile (this makes the terminal automatically point to JDK 1.6, but the rest of the OS is still unmoved).
  2. creating (!) the CLASSPATH environment variable to point to the new JDK
  3. creating (!) the JAVA_HOME environment variable to point to the new JDK
  4. Pasting the JDK's files into the /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions folder
  5. Using the /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences app (It doesn't identify the 1.6 JDK as an option)
  6. Manually changing the symlinks that I could find that point to the JDK 1.5 files, to their counterparts in the JDK 1.6 (some files are reported as being missing / not found)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.