Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
I'm looking for the Speck Balance Folio for the new iPad Air, but it seems quite hard to find in the UK. Does the version for the iPad pro 11 work on the new Air?

Are there any other cases that have the same functionality where the case can sort of fold underneath the back of the iPad to create the wedge? I only know this case and the Devicewear Ridge that do this, and the Ridge doesn't seem to be available for the new Air.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
No, on the iPad Pro version, the cutout in the rigid inner shell for the top button will not fit the larger Touch ID button on the Air 4.

The Air 4 case is backward compatible with the Pro, as it leaves the button and adjacent speaker grille area completely exposed.

Aside from the Speck, Torro make a case with that folding style. ESR make a few different versions with various folding styles.

I've found that the tri-fold style, where the cover is rolled up to form a base, is the most common.

The two-fold style, where the cover serves as the base, and the pad pivots away from the back cover, is next most common.

I've had a hard time finding the style where the front cover is folded back over, and tucked into a cleat on the back cover.

The last style, like what Zugu uses, has the cover folded back over, and a kickstand.

I have the Balance Folio for my Pro, and am generally happy with it. I don't know if I'd pay full price for it, but it goes on sale for half off here every so often, at Best Buy, for the equivalent of 15 quid.

For that price, it will beat most, if not all cases that occupy the $10-20 price range, with a nicer build quality, and niceties like the magnetic camera flap, and magnetic latching of the inner shell to the back cover so it doesn't flop around when in use. The shell has molded cleats that slot into channels in the inside front cover, so it does a better job of maintaining position, versus those that just rely on ridges and the edge of the shell.

The exterior vinyl is textured for grip, and the Air 4 version adds Microban technology.

While it's not the ne plus ultra in terms of cases, it was designed and built to a higher standard than many of the cheaper cases on Amazon and the like. Even if it doesn't last forever, I'll have few regrets given the price I paid.

My only qualms are the colors aside from black are muted, and dull, as opposed to the wilder pastel hues of their phone cases. But that's Speck, which has always had a different sensibility than others when it comes to color palettes.

Last edited:

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Thanks a lot for the info and confirming the difference with the case made for the pro. I think i', going to get a cheap case for now and wait for some other ones to start to become available, the Torro does look nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.