Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
For the past year I have been sitting with a Samsung NC10 netbook, using it for work (writing articles, news stories). I kinda miss having an average computer and is looking for a media player as well.

I have been looking at the following new Mac Mini:
# 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
# 500GB Serial ATA Drive

It'll primarily function as a media center for HD-movies, music and tv-recording with Eyetv - connected to a surround sound 5.1 system. I'll use it for Internet surfing, iTunes, Photoshop as well on a 1080p HDTV - not really looking for gaming.

Is this good enough for my needs? Or should I bump it from '2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo' to '2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo' - is there really that much of a difference for what I'm gonna use it for?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
That is fine, the 2.66GHz is only ~10% faster and that's only in CPU intensive tasks. For your usage, there shouldn't be noticeable difference

antster94

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
London, UK
Well, if you want something for work the I would recommend an iMac, however if you are only going to be using it as a media centre then go for the best Mini that you can afford. But I don't think doing work on a big HDTV is going to be any good, what size is the TV?

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
Well, if you want something for work the I would recommend an iMac, however if you are only going to be using it as a media centre then go for the best Mini that you can afford. But I don't think doing work on a big HDTV is going to be any good, what size is the TV?

46". Though, the Mini would be used primarly as a media player for 720/1080 movies, tv-recording and surfing. If I'm not satisfied with work on such a screen, I'll just do the work on the netbook.

antster94

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
London, UK
Ok, well I would recommend just going for the 2.4 Mini, it should be fine for your needs! But 46" will be a pain to do work on, I would just do work on the netbook if I were you.

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
It's fine. Keep your eye on Activity Monitor and look at page outs, if you have a lot of them, then upgrading to 4GB is wise. It's easy on new Minis
Dumb question incoming (I'm really sorry for that), will I then be able to order the 4GBs from Apples store? Or does any brand of RAM work with it? Which brand does Apple currently use? On the brink of ordering one.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Dumb question incoming (I'm really sorry for that), will I then be able to order the 4GBs from Apples store? Or does any brand of RAM work with it? Which brand does Apple currently use? On the brink of ordering one.

I recommend OWC but many other brands work fine. Apple stores sell RAM I think but it's overpriced

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
I really appreciate your willingness to help me out here. =)
I got a last question, I think I'm going for the 320GB HDD (for iTunes, HD movies) and then buying an external harddrive with 1TB for external storage - that would work out just fine?

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I really appreciate your willingness to help me out here. =)
I got a last question, I think I'm going for the 320GB HDD (for iTunes, HD movies) and then buying an external harddrive with 1TB for external storage - that would work out just fine?

It will work. Don't forget the external drive must have Firewire 800 or USB 2.0 connection. eSATA is not supported on Mac computers (only in Mac Pro with an additional 3rd party PCI Express card).

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
It will work. Don't forget the external drive must have Firewire 800 or USB 2.0 connection. eSATA is not supported on Mac computers (only in Mac Pro with an additional 3rd party PCI Express card).

Alright, I'll keep that in mind, thanks! =)

Another question on behalf of the family, which HD-webcams does the OS X Snow Leopard support? Will this work: http://www.altoedge.com/video/webcam.html ?

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
For the past year I have been sitting with a Samsung NC10 netbook, using it for work (writing articles, news stories). I kinda miss having an average computer and is looking for a media player as well.

I have been looking at the following new Mac Mini:
# 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
# 500GB Serial ATA Drive

It'll primarily function as a media center for HD-movies, music and tv-recording with Eyetv - connected to a surround sound 5.1 system. I'll use it for Internet surfing, iTunes, Photoshop as well on a 1080p HDTV - not really looking for gaming.

Is this good enough for my needs? Or should I bump it from '2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo' to '2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo' - is there really that much of a difference for what I'm gonna use it for?

may I ask..genuinely.....why??

you use a netbook so OSX can't be a massive draw or you would already have it. The apps you seem to want to run are all cross platform. WMCE is far superior for TV than anything on OSX.

If you want an average computer then the mini is arguably that but why pay THAT much for average when you could get an i5 unit for less and run your apps faster?

whats the raison d'etre or mentality behind the purchase?

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
Because I don't care if it's i5, i7, i20, i12 or what have you.
I just want an average computer, which will function as a tv-recording device, media center (plex is awesome) and one I can connect to my 46" and sit in the sofa with. If it does Internet surfing, e-mails, messenger, video chat and those smaller tasks it's a bonus, which it is.

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
I got to ask one more time (literally ready to click the 'buy' button).
Is '2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo' good enough for tv-recording and plex media center?
Or should I really go for the '2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo' ?

Does any kind of DDR3 RAM work with the Mac Mini? (then I'll see if I can find it cheaper here in Denmark).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I got to ask one more time (literally ready to click the 'buy' button).
Is '2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo' good enough for tv-recording and plex media center?
Or should I really go for the '2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo' ?

Does any kind of DDR3 RAM work with the Mac Mini? (then I'll see if I can find it cheaper here in Denmark).

2.4GHz is fine. Any DDR3 that matches the specs should work. Give us some links so we can check (PC-8500 SODIMM is what you need if I recall correctly)

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
Thanks. Everything I get by on either Amazon.co.uk and danish online retailers, seem to be way more expensive than the option Apple gives me. If I choose 4GB at the Apple Store, it'll cost me $125. The one I found on Amazon.co.uk is $126 and the one here in Denmark is $333. Guess I'll go with 4GB at the get-go.

Does Logitech HD webcams work with the Mac Mini?

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
Alright, can anyone tell me, if a Harmony (900) remote works with the Mac Mini? Can it be turned on, start up plex, be used with eyetv?

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
Anyway, thanks for the help!
I just ordered one with 4GB.

Any good external 1TB harddrive I can store my movies, music, photos on?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Alright, can anyone tell me, if a Harmony (900) remote works with the Mac Mini? Can it be turned on, start up plex, be used with eyetv?

Just checked, it's compatible with OS X

Any good external 1TB harddrive I can store my movies, music, photos on?

OWC Mercury Elite is good but quite pricey though it has quad interface which is great for Mini (FW800). If USB is fine, then there are hundreds of choices

LittleEskimo

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2009
I have a question myself if I may nudge my way in a little bit. I have been shopping for a mini for quite some time (jan). So excited to get my first (non-fixer upper pc) computer/mac! :) Now that the new mini's are out, I was wondering if there are any noticeable differences in performance between the 2.53 and new 2.4 mini. But I am mostly interested to know if there are any significant performance increases between the 2.4 and 2.66. Is it really worth the money for $135us. (student discount, and not including tax added either for the sole purpose of going through apple)

Just some info on my situation. I am going to be going off to college next year, and I wanted to buy a computer while I can. I will be doing mostly graphic and web work with cs4. I know I know, that imacs are faster. But I am on a tight budget here. I have seen a few videos with people running some simple tests with photoshop, dw, ect. and they seem to run fine on the system.

I just need to know if it's worth the money for the 2.66 upgrade, and if the 2.53 is noticeably better. Also, if anyone else is interested, I compared the 09 and 2010 mini prices on amazon, and if bought directly from the amazon seller anyway, the 2.4 and 2.53 are about the same price including a ram upgrade in the 2.4.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Am I correct in assuming you pay 20% more for (solely) a 10% increase in CPU clockspeed?

Unless you do heavy (continous) rendering or transcoding on the machine, I doubt whether you would even be able to notice a difference in everyday working. In my opinion, Apple's CPU options are almost never worth their price*. Better save your bucks for your next purchase.

* At least unless you're also considering resale value for your machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.